What do your curds look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
I'm making my second cheddar today and am disappointed in my curds. After I cut them they begin to disintegrate into a cottage cheese consistency.

I'm not overly concerned about it because my first cheddar did the same and tasted great. However, I have grown up eating fresh cheese curds (being from Wisconsin and all) and I want that. I'd like to snack on a few curds and press the rest.

I use regular store bought pasteurized/homogenized whole milk with 1/8tsp calcium chloride added per gallon of milk. I let it ripen for 45 minutes around 90F with a mesophilic culture. Then I add 1/4 tsp of diluted rennet and let it set for another 45-50 minutes around 90F before cutting. I rest 10 minutes after cutting, slowly raise the temp to 100F over a 20-30 minute period with gentle stirring every so often. Once I reach 100F I let it rest 5 minutes before draining.

So, how do you achieve those squeaky curds?

Try milk from somewhere else. You probably already know this, but make sure the milk doesn't say Ultra-High Pasturized, or ultra anything.

Your curds should look like cubes. They might be soft and fall apart a bit when you remove them.

Where'd you get your rennet?

Haha, just replied to my other thread and said no one had answered this one. I spoke too soon.

My rennet came from Northern Brewer. I believe that they got it from New England Cheesemsking Supply because that's where the mesophilic culture came from.

The milk I used wasn't ultra pasteurized but I'll look around for something less processed.

Make sure your temperatures are accurate- I noticed that when I did exactly 86 degrees (I think- it's been a while!) for a cheddar that the curds were actually pretty firm. Maybe you didn't let it sit long enough?

I used two different thermometers in the process and both read the same value.

Maybe I'm heating them up too much if you only went to 86F. The recipe I followed said between 88F and 92F.
I shot for the high end to compensate for any temperature loss while resting.

I'll try resting longer next time too. I did achieve a clean break so I'm not positive that's the issue but I'm still learning.

I used two different thermometers in the process and both read the same value.

Maybe I'm heating them up too much if you only went to 86F. The recipe I followed said between 88F and 92F.
I shot for the high end to compensate for any temperature loss while resting.

I'll try resting longer next time too. I did achieve a clean break so I'm not positive that's the issue but I'm still learning.

I don't remember the exact temperature now- it's been a long time! But if you got a clean break, that should be good enough.

Did you use calcium chloride in the milk?

IIRC there is a period of "cooking" the curds after formation and cutting. Maybe that needs to be done longer.

I have not yet tried to make cheese curds, but I'm *really* anxious to try it. Just have to fit it in sometime.

Maybe compare times and temps with other recipes. I know there are many out there.

I made a 5 gallon cheddar this weekend. After cutting a cooking the curd, they were perfect. I used 5 gallons of Spartan whole milk. 2 tsp of Cal Chloride, 3/16ths dry calf rennet. (Also the culture). Raised milk temp to 86. Put in culture, let it age for 45 minute. Added Cal Chloride, and then the rennet. Let set for 35 minutes. Cut the curd. Let rest for 10 minutes. Raise temp over 45 minutes slowly to 102F stirring softly but continuously. Let set again for 45 minutes only stirring occasionally. Drained the whey. Had a curd mass at bottom of kettle. Put kettle in a sink of 110F water to hold the temp at 102F. Cheddared for the next 2 hours turning every 15 minutes. At the 60 minute mark I cut the curd mass and stacked it. Curds became squeeky and nice. Cut into pieces, salted with 2.5 tbl spoons of Kosher salt and put into press.

Basically my procedure for cheddar. Long process, but worth it.

I made a 5 gallon cheddar this weekend. After cutting a cooking the curd, they were perfect. I used 5 gallons of Spartan whole milk. 2 tsp of Cal Chloride, 3/16ths dry calf rennet. (Also the culture). Raised milk temp to 86. Put in culture, let it age for 45 minute. Added Cal Chloride, and then the rennet. Let set for 35 minutes. Cut the curd. Let rest for 10 minutes. Raise temp over 45 minutes slowly to 102F stirring softly but continuously. Let set again for 45 minutes only stirring occasionally. Drained the whey. Had a curd mass at bottom of kettle. Put kettle in a sink of 110F water to hold the temp at 102F. Cheddared for the next 2 hours turning every 15 minutes. At the 60 minute mark I cut the curd mass and stacked it. Curds became squeeky and nice. Cut into pieces, salted with 2.5 tbl spoons of Kosher salt and put into press.

Yea, squeeky curds and you've done well.

THis is the same process I have used now twice. Both times after pressing for over 12 hours at up to 50 lbs, the curds did not "knit". I ended up with something akin to cylindrical orange brain matter. I did not want to waste time aging it, so cut it in half to see if the inside had space. THere were small air spaces throughout. I am sure the curds were simply too dry, but I guess I am not sure at what point to stop/styart the different processes. Also, the recipe say to drain the curds in a cloth lined collander, and then place the entire colander back into the pot. after an hour, you are to start "cheddaring" Do you leave the curds in colander after initial drain? I assume this is what is drying them excessively.

No, I put them back into the pot, and put the pot into a sink of hot water to keep the curd warm while cheddaring. As the curd cheddars and additional whey collects, I will drain off the whey.

No, I put them back into the pot, and put the pot into a sink of hot water to keep the curd warm while cheddaring. As the curd cheddars and additional whey collects, I will drain off the whey.

THanks very much, I will eliminate the colander.

Back