DC Area Group Buy #10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long time lurker, finally able to organize and get my order in the next group buy.

This is my first time using Castle does anyone one have a preference between Chateau or Weyermann? Likewise any preference between Crisp and Muntons Maris Otter?

Thanks.

1 x CAS1002 Château Pilsen 2-Row 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
1 x CRI1001 Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb)
2 x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

Long time lurker, finally able to organize and get my order in the next group buy.

This is my first time using Castle does anyone one have a preference between Chateau or Weyermann? Likewise any preference between Crisp and Muntons Maris Otter?

Thanks.

Have not used Chateau but I am very happy with Weyermann malts. Consistent malt and awesome packaging.

Thanks.

1 x CAS1002 Château Pilsen 2-Row 25 Kg (55 Lb.)
1 x CRI1001 Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb)
2 x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

I've put you down for these on the spreadsheet (Order Tab). If you need to change them or add more for whatever reason, let us know. Your order will be finalized when you pay for them, at the end of the buy.

Can you pm me your email address please. Thanks!

Please put me down for 10#'s of CaraAroma, didn't work out on the last split.
Sorry I am going to miss the festivities on Saturday. Masonsjax is going to grab my 1 x 2-Row

Well it has an icon that says "closed" and I was unable to post an additional comment.

Man, you're right. That's the first time I've seen a truly closed thread here.

I always grin seeing a new post to a thread that hasn't seen posts for 2 or 3 years. :drunk:

I guess we'll talk :off: business here then, instead.

Please put me down for 10#'s of CaraAroma, didn't work out on the last split.
Sorry I am going to miss the festivities on Saturday. Masonsjax is going to grab my 1 x 2-Row

Added 10# of CA for you. 40# to go on that split.
Sorry you'll be missing that splits party.

Interested. Please pm me if still open

Looking at your listed location, please note, this buy is for the (larger) DC area, and Newark, NJ seems a bit out of range. Pickup is in DC.

Please read the first post of this thread carefully. It explains all the details on how to participate in the buys. Welcome to the group!

+1 on this.

I think I need more DME; my starters are [literally] eating that stuff up!
10# of 3400C Muntons Extra Light

Thanks!

New split started on Muntons Extra Light DME.
10# for you.

I needed 7 liters of wort for various starters, so I increased a brew's recipe size. Combined enough of 2nd and 3rd runnings to get 1.032 starter wort. Mash calculations were, hmm, complex so to say.

I guess after lautering the main mash, one could add a few pounds of 2-row to some or all of the already hot grist, add new strike water and do another mash at 148°F while boiling the main recipe. No time wasted, and almost free starter wort.

I guess after lautering the main mash, one could add a few pounds of 2-row to some or all of the already hot grist, add new strike water and do another mash at 148°F while boiling the main recipe. No time wasted, and almost free starter wort.
... and then you have to boil it...

or you could just use some dme :mug:

... and then you have to boil it...

or you could just use some dme :mug:

Both the wort and DME need to be boiled (10-15 minutes) so the differential is 0.

It's only worth the effort if one is brewing already, or needs quite a few gallons of starter wort.

Just wanted to show an (easy) alternative :mug:

My [unscientific] method is to just use an extra quart or so of strike water and collect as usual into the kettle. Once mixed up, I fill a plastic container or two with full strength wort and put it in the freezer. When i need wort for a starter, I just thaw that out, cut it with a little water, and boil. Then I clean the containers and put them with my brew gear so I remember to collect some when I brew next.

I really hate working with DME, which seems to have an identity crisis, thinking it is in fact pixie dust and must go airborne before covering everything in the room. :mad:

Both the wort and DME need to be boiled (10-15 minutes) so the differential is 0.
the DME needs to be boiled for a minute to sanitize. nasties like SMM (precursor to DMS) have already been boiled off during the extract creation process.

second runnings out of the mash tun need an hour boil to vaporize SMM... or am i missing something? (highly likely)

I really hate working with DME, which seems to have an identity crisis, thinking it is in fact pixie dust and must go airborne before covering everything in the room. :mad:
i'm completely with you on that one. the stuff is pure evil. we live in such a damn humid area, the stuff clumps together as soon as you open the bag. must be nice for those in Arizona, but for us swamp-dwellers it's a pain in the @$$.

and this that, back to ordering grains... to contradict myself: i'll take 5 lbs of the DME.

:off:
the DME needs to be boiled for a minute to sanitize. nasties like SMM (precursor to DMS) have already been boiled off during the extract creation process.

second runnings out of the mash tun need an hour boil to vaporize SMM... or am i missing something? (highly likely)

:off: We're not making beer so SMMs and DMS are not a concern. Unless someone pours large quantities of starter beer in their fermentors. :drunk:

Don't know about you, but I need to boil DME for at least 5 minutes to get it looking like normal wort, not yellow whey. I do use a pot, not a flask to boil in, so it sanitizes the lid and rim area too. One small drop of Fermcap-S keeps the foam down at least.

Please put me down for:

1 sack - RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

Also, put me down for the following splits:

5 lbs - (BRI1035) Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L (50 lb)
5 lbs - (CRI1036) Crisp Crystal 60L 25 kg (55 lb)

Cheers,

Kirk :mug:

What a nice detour talking about different method to make starters! I actually did collect some late runnings when I just started brewing and they're still in my freezer. I like the idea of not having to spend money on DME but it is very convenient and I don't have to thaw 2 liters or more...

Please put me down for:

1 sack - RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

Also, put me down for the following splits:

5 lbs - (BRI1035) Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L (50 lb)
5 lbs - (CRI1036) Crisp Crystal 60L 25 kg (55 lb)

Cheers,

Kirk :mug:

Welcome to the group!
Added.

[...] back to ordering grains... to contradict myself: i'll take 5 lbs of the DME.

Almost missed that line. We desperately need an icon: ON TOPIC! :D
Added 5# DME.

Any reason funnycreature picked Muntons Extra Light over Briess Pilsner?

I agree on the ease of DME once it's dissolved in the pot. I read somewhere that starters should be closer to 1.030 for optimum growth and least stress. I use 1.035 now.

Almost missed that line. We desperately need an icon: ON TOPIC! :D
Added 5# DME.

Any reason funnycreature picked Muntons Extra Light over Briess Pilsner?

I agree on the ease of DME once it's dissolved in the pot. I read somewhere that starters should be closer to 1.030 for optimum growth and least stress. I use 1.035 now.

Frits, please pick the DME that we have used previously. I have not preference.

Frits, please pick the DME that we have used previously. I have not preference.

We've always ordered Briess Golden Light. I'll change it to that. Let me know if you want Briess Pilsen instead.

I've been using Briess Pilsen for starters. It has a tad less Carapils/Crystal in it. Not a big difference.

Please add the following for me:

CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb) 1 Bag

We've always ordered Briess Golden Light. I'll change it to that. Let me know if you want Briess Pilsen instead.

I've been using Briess Pilsen for starters. It has a tad less Carapils/Crystal in it. Not a big difference.

Sure, make that the Pilsner DME if you want. As long as the other buyer is OK I'm fine :mug:

since #9 is closed, i guess i'll have to ask this here:

what are the logistics for tomorrow's split party? when should we show up, what to bring, what (not) to wear (remember - it's after Labor Day, so no white bikinis), etc...

since #9 is closed, i guess i'll have to ask this here:

what are the logistics for tomorrow's split party? when should we show up, what to bring, what (not) to wear (remember - it's after Labor Day, so no white bikinis), etc...

Excellent point on the bikinis!
Pickup is at 11am, and usually we can get in at 10am or even earlier, to get a head start on sorting sacks and the 71 splits!

I'll be there at 9:30 with a table, scale, weighting buckets, and the distro labels. Plus the plastic bags I've saved up.

I expect (and hope) to see at least 4 more scales, as usual.
And for all those helping with splitting, bring some bags and/or buckets.

Is Keith bringing more of those nice buckets for us?

I have buckets at my house that Sven could pick up on his way home from work tonight, if not too much trouble. They are multiple different sizes, from Keith. A couple should be given to Ed, since a few were for him from last round.

Back