Whatchoo Think About My Stunkelweizen Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I lucked out. I don't have any hefe yeast, but I'm scheming on a dunkelweizen tomorrow evening. I've never done one, but it's fall, so...hell yes. So I phoned Taylor, who actually has his new brewery up and running (the bar room isn't finished and he doesn't have the bottler, but he's contract brewing already). It just so happened that the only one of his massive conicals that hadn't been filtered yet was his hefe [soon-to-be-krystal-] weizen. So I dropped by yesterday and got a couple jars of it, and so tomorrow, I brew!

Having never done a dunkelweizen before, any feedback would be appreciated. :mug:

Stunkelweizen

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-B German Wheat and Rye Beer, Dunkelweizen

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.056
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 18
Min Clr: 14 Max Clr: 23 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.25
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.38
Anticipated SRM: 17.7
Anticipated IBU: 14.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG 10.59 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
54.1 5.00 lbs. Gleneagle's Maris Otter Pale Great Britain 1.038 5
32.4 3.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
8.1 0.75 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
2.7 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
2.7 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Hallertauer Whole 4.00 13.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 4.00 0.6 2 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step

Grain Lbs: 9.25
Water Qts: 11.56 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.89 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Intermediate Rest Temp : 133 Time: 30
Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 45
Mash-out Rest Temp : 158 Time: 20
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.63 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

So much for your much deserved hiatus...I've never done a dunkelweizen either, I've done a couple wheat beers and fermented them a bit too high and they ended up super banana-ey...so I'd make sure the fermentation temps don't get too high.

:off: That's really cool that the Brew Mountain Brewery is gonna open up soon and with a tasting room, we are starting to get more breweries around here. Starr Hill is planning a tasting room out in Crozet...I'm not sure where they're at with it yet, they were supposed to come in a few weeks ago here at the County for a pre application meeting for the tasting room but didn't show.

Hey, dude...I haven't brewed for a week and a half. That's a hiatus in my book. ;) Plus, my older brother was visiting from L.A. and we went through a shiznit load of my "everyday" beers...pale ale, witbier, hefe, sommerbock, etc. He sure loved my pale ale. So I need some more everyday stuff. Lighter, lower ABV, etc. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still have assloads of beer, but plenty of it is stuff that I'm aging or hoarding, like the Rochefort 10 and the Mephistopheles Stout.

Yeah, Taylor's got quite an operation out there. He's trying to open by mid to late october. Tell everyone you know!

BTW, what are you up to tomorrow night?

I've done a few of them. I keep mine very simple. 60/40 wheat/munich with a tiny bit of chocolate for colour. Hallertauer to bitter to about 15 IBU. That recipe looks interesting though, should be some richer malt flavours for sure.

I think you might get a better result if you replaced the chocolate malt and special B with dehusked Carafa II. I've made a dunkel with black patent before and it came out kind of like a porter-weizen. Chocolate and special B might lead to porter-y result as well (I use both in my porters).

Buford said:
I think you might get a better result if you replaced the chocolate malt and special B with dehusked Carafa II. I've made a dunkel with black patent before and it came out kind of like a porter-weizen. Chocolate and special B might lead to porter-y result as well (I use both in my porters).

How much black patent did you use? I was speaking with a local brewmaster yesterday and he said he uses about 2% chocolate and a little bit of dark crystal (Special B). Chocolate also isn't as roasty as patent. So how much did you use? What was your SRM?

Back