Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Agave Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephonovich

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3944
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 70+ F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Beer is initially green from hops; this clears up after primary.
Recipe

4 lbs. Flaked Wheat
4 lbs. 2-Row
1 lbs. Agave Extract
8 oz. Flaked Oats

1 Whirlfloc @ 15 min

1 oz. Tettnang @ 60 min
0.5 oz. Tettnang @ 5 min

1 oz. Sweet Orange Peel @ 5 min
0.5 oz. Coriander @ 5 min

Wyeast Belgian Witbier 3944

Protein Rest @ 122 F for 20 minutes
Mash @ 148 F for 60 minutes

ABV: 5.9%

Notes

Pitch the yeast into both the starter and wort warm, around 80 F to develop spicy phenolics.

3944 isn't strictly required, but I like the spiciness you get. 1056/1010, or
S-05 would work fine, but you'd lose some of the flavor.

Use the darkest Agave you can find - it's more flavorful.

Alternatives

Add the agave right before bottling for a bigger taste, but be aware how it'll affect bottle conditioning, if that's what you're doing. Also, to compensate for the OG hit, add an extra 0.7 lbs of 2-row and Flaked Wheat. Your FG and ABV will be a little different (higher FG, lower ABV).

Make the orange peel and coriander into a spice tea, and add into the bottling bucket. I personally prefer this method, as it keeps the flavors around longer. Alternately, do both the boil and spice tea.

I brewed this this afternoon. Decided to use the coriander and orange peel in the boil for the last 5 minutes and left it in the kettle while I chilled the wort. Smelled good, hoping it turns out kind of close to Breckenridge's agave wheat. Thanks for sharing!.

Glad you decided to use it! It's not a complicated recipe by any means, but quite tasty. More of a summer beer for me, but good beer is good anytime.

Don't get thrown off by the green tint, though. Maybe the Tett I used was really fresh or something, but the wort looked like it belonged on St. Patty's day for a few weeks.

Glad you decided to use it! It's not a complicated recipe by any means, but quite tasty. More of a summer beer for me, but good beer is good anytime.

Don't get thrown off by the green tint, though. Maybe the Tett I used was really fresh or something, but the wort looked like it belonged on St. Patty's day for a few weeks.

Good to know! Hahaha, I used the Belgian Wit WLP400, hoping to get some of the fruitiness from the orange peel. Smelled like oranges when I put it into primary.

To be honest, I think there is something missing in this recipe... Although, I am not a big wheat beer drinker so I couldn't tell you what it is. Something to darken it maybe, and add some sweetness. I wanted to try to replicate the Breckenridge Agave Wheat, which is much darker than this beer. But this with an orange slice in it is just fine :)

Yes, it's definitely a dry beer. I was going to go simple with it. I could see maybe adding a small (< 10%) amount of C20, or maybe some Victory. You could also, of course, raise the mash temp. Going up to 156F gives you an FG of 1.011.

Stephonovich said:
Yes, it's definitely a dry beer. I was going to go simple with it. I could see maybe adding a small (< 10%) amount of C20, or maybe some Victory. You could also, of course, raise the mash temp. Going up to 156F gives you an FG of 1.011.

I think I might try to clone the Breck beer with some crystal, Munich and carapils. But this beer has actually gotten quite tasty after sitting in the keg for a few days.

I think I might try to clone the Breck beer with some crystal, Munich and carapils. But this beer has actually gotten quite tasty after sitting in the keg for a few days.

I didn't keg mine, so I can't comment. I do a 3 week primary, bottle, 3 weeks aging for most of my easy drinking beers. Moving into kegging soon.

great looking recipe! question about the primary, do you think a 14 day primary would be ok? what would the differences be, if any to keep it for 21 days, even if it's done fermenting?

It'd probably be fine. I'm a proponent of three week primaries with no secondary, but with a good yeast starter and appropriate fermentation temperature, it would probably be fine.

Is there any specific reason you're wanting to shorten the primary?

Back