Sangiovese Port Recipe - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
This is my first port... In fact my first wine ill be making. Let me know your thoughts about process and product. I have gathered a bunch of information from Winemakingtalk and this site. This is what i have come up with...

Start out with 3 Gallons of Sangiovese Juice (with skins if possible)
Hydrate the Bentonite - Add to must
Add 1lbs Corn sugar
Add Metabisulfite to sanitize
Add 1/3 dose Fermk
Pitch Wyeast 4767 (port style)

During fermentation Add the additional 1lbs of sugar and two more doses of Fermk (if needed) to keep away H2S.

The juice SG is 1.086. Adding 2lbs of sugar brings me up to my target SG of 1.130 with a potential of about 18% abv. Fermented to 1.050 to keep enough of the grape sweetness and brings my starting must/wine to 10% abv. Ill be fortifying with a Everclear, Kirschwasser, Brandy mixture. To brink the wine up to 18.5%

When the wine hits the targeted gravity of 1.050 Rack to secondary over Fortification mix.

2.5 Cups Everclear
.75 Cup Kirschwasser (Cherry Hiram Walker Distillate)
3 Bottles of EJ Brandy

Initial Degassing

After a two weeks:

Rack over to Carboy (4 gallons)
Degass
1oz Oak cubes
Metabisulfite - To sanitize
Bar Chocolate
Top up

Taste the wine every week or two. Rack off the chocolate and oak when the wine is your liking. Rack over to another carboy.

Let sit till clear, bottle. Let sit on bottle 6 months.

Back