How do you clean/sanitize your CFC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polboy

Reaction score
Never got an infection but each time I use my CFC I think as it's the weakest point in my sanitizing routine. Before using it I run few gal of water from garden hose, then I plug it to bottling bucket and run some starsan then more water (there is a lot of starsan inside) let it drain, plug in to BK, run cup or 2 of hot wort without chilling then chill, run more water after use, drain, plug the ends and store. Is ther a better/easier way?

I would run warm PBW through it along with all my hoses after each brew session, followed by a good clean water rinse.

mux said:
I would run warm PBW through it along with all my hoses after each brew session, followed by a good clean water rinse.

+1 to this, and when I am all done I fill it with Star San, plug the ends and leave it until the next brew day, then drain, run a little hit wort through it and then redirect the tubing into the primary, never had an infection.

I run PBW through it during my mash then I run water and then star san. I flow my wort through it till it comes out just wort and all the star san is gone. Then I again run PBW through it and star san. I do this before and after every brew so no need to keep full of star san and cap ends since it's sanitized both on the front end and back end of every brew. Never had a problem.

i just built mine and haven't used it yet, however I've seen where people say that running boiling wort through it for a few minutes is sufficient for sanitizing it. THats what i plan on doing.

cobolstinks said:
i just built mine and haven't used it yet, however I've seen where people say that running boiling wort through it for a few minutes is sufficient for sanitizing it. THats what i plan on doing.

Yes, that works but be sure prior to your very first use you run some hot vinegar through it to clean up the copper and get rid of any production grime

When I have 15 minutes left in the boil, I recirculate through it and just let it go through chilling. To clean, I just run the PBW or oxyclean through it when I clean the boil kettle. Mine comes off of the stand, so I just walk over to the sink and rinse it out, then blow into one end like a trumpet to get the water out.

If I haven't brewed in a long time, I'll rinse it well with hot water before using it. I've had green (verdigris) come out due to the tiny bit of water left in it even with blowing it out, so I rinse first, then recirculate the wort during the boil to sanitize.

When I have 15 minutes left in the boil, I recirculate through it and just let it go through chilling. To clean, I just run the PBW or oxyclean through it when I clean the boil kettle. Mine comes off of the stand, so I just walk over to the sink and rinse it out, then blow into one end like a trumpet to get the water out.

If I haven't brewed in a long time, I'll rinse it well with hot water before using it. I've had green (verdigris) come out due to the tiny bit of water left in it even with blowing it out, so I rinse first, then recirculate the wort during the boil to sanitize.

Ha! I do the same thing with my IC.

After i heat my sparge water i boil 2 gallons of water and run through mine then run about a quart or so of star san and let it sit until i start my chill.
I basically do the same thing at the end of the brew day except i cap the ends until next brew day.

+1 to this, and when I am all done I fill it with Star San, plug the ends and leave it until the next brew day, then drain, run a little hit wort through it and then redirect the tubing into the primary, never had an infection.

if its copper like most CFCs are, you shouldnt leave an acid (starsan) in there for long periods of time.

audger said:
if its copper like most CFCs are, you shouldnt leave an acid (starsan) in there for long periods of time.

Thanks for the input, good point!

After i heat my sparge water i boil 2 gallons of water and run through mine then run about a quart or so of star san and let it sit until i start my chill.
I basically do the same thing at the end of the brew day except i cap the ends until next brew day.

That's what I do, without the starsan.

I do have pumps (gravity feed), so I run a couple gallons of boiling water through it while I'm sparging. At the end of the brew day, during clean-up, I run another couple gallons of boiling water through it, and put the caps on it before it's drained.

A couple times a year, I'll run some oxyclean through it, but other than that, I just use boiling water to clean/sanitize.

Not sure how large your CFC is but w/ my plate chiller (therminator) I put it in my pressure cooker at cooking temp for about 15 minutes at the beginning of the brew day. By the time i'm ready for it, it's cool enough to take out of the cooker. Then I flush it w/ some star san to make sure no deposits from the 'water side' migrate to the 'wort side'.

I hope this was at least a little helpful.

i guess i will change my routine a little and skip the starsan, just flush it with water from the hose then recirculate some boiling wort at the end of boiling (i dont have a pump so i will just collect gallon or so and dump it back in bk) then use, flash with water after and drain

Back