Manifold Holes Once Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I know this subject has been asked over and over but the threads dont really give me the answer I am looking for. My question is why are the holes/slots only on the bottom of a manifold? I understand they could plug more easily from the top but so can SS braid and many people use that... Just want to know what all yall out there think before i drill holes/cut slots in my newly made manifold all around.

the purpose of putting the holes in the bottom is to drain to a lower level. If you have holes in the top of the manifold, suction will stop as soon as the liquid level hits the top holes and air is pulled in. By only putting holes in the bottom, you move that suction point down by the thickness of the pipe and effectively gain extra volume.

AH.... So those people that use steel braid get less suction and therefore still have a little more wort left in the MLT than those who use manifolds? I have always used a manifold but just made a better one and was just wondering.

You got it once air is sucked in the syphon is lost and flow stops.

Back