oops, I made... Beer!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
well, I have been doing so well making swill. I went and blew it though and I actually made some good beer!!! :ban: :ban: :ban:

Finally!

Well, the oatmeal stout I have been afraid to try (because of other recent batches) I took a reading tonight and it tastes great! I do not have a practical means of doing a secondary with it (no vacancies), so I have decided if it is still reading the same in a few days, I am bottling it.

Something to look forward to! I might even let some of it carbonate before drinking it! :D

It is thick and rich, very nice. Even with the disaster of my first full blown partial mess, er, I mean mash (It was a full mess!) it turned out.

I think I conclude from all this, I will stick with dry yeast for a while, then maybe order some white labs or Wyeast from elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for helpin' me through the rough time!

"Ain't no stoppin me now..."

Congrats. If it tastes good in the prime, a stout will only get better. If you're running out of secondary room, order a couple (or three) used cornies from Adventures in Brewing for $18 apiece, clean them up and use them as secondaries.

It's a great way to stow away a new batch in a corner and forget about it.

Then, when you're convinced your a "brewer" again, you'll be ready to keg and serve your brew.

homebrewer_99 said:
How long has it been inthe primary?

I left a brew in the primary over 30 days and it won Best of Show so don't rush it.;)

I guess I could let it sit a bit more. Although there is a good amount of trub in there. I am not the best at filtering that out yet, have yet to find a method that works for me. Will that be detrimental do you think?

As for kegs, well, I can get some 5 gallon carboys at my LHBS for $17 each. Someday kegs, I am sure...

homebrewer_99 said:
How long has it been inthe primary?

I left a brew in the primary over 30 days and it won Best of Show so don't rush it.;)

I have been thinking about this. What was the beer style and how high was the OG? That plays somewhat of a role in fermentation times correct? For instance, something with an OG in the low 40's or high 30's probably would not be good to leave too long in Primary, yes?

I have decided to leave it another week. What you said got me thinking though about timing.

Back