first wheat beer, krausen looks like sourdough starter. normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
Yep, title says it all. Is this normal? Its a thick almost gelatinous 2 inch mass after 5 days. It looks like if I added some flour I could knead it and let it rise and make garlic bread from it. It smells terrific so I am obviously not worried, but is this normal? Its my first wheat beer. It looks like wheat gluten protein or something..

Oh also, is this thing ever going to drop? I tried to take a hydro reading and this stuff was all over the thief and everywhere...

Totally normal. Don't add flour;) it'll drop eventually. just give it time. You sound like a yeast dough guy. Check out the pizza thread.

JonK331 said:
Totally normal. Don't add flour;) it'll drop eventually. just give it time. You sound like a yeast dough guy. Check out the pizza thread.

Awesome, thanks. Yes im an avid baker. Pizza thread you say?? Ill have to check on that :)

I just fermented an ale with WLP008 East Coast Ale, the krausen looked just like you described...shiny dough. It didn't drop for 3 weeks, and even then it only fell because I moved the bottle and it got a little shaken. Totally normal and kind of nasty looking too.

Thanks for the link! I have really hard time searching for things here, it seems like the threads are totally random. Then when you read one, someone said pizza once or something. I don't quite get it..

My experience was similar with White Labs Hefe yeast (WLP300 I think?). Thick krausen sat on the surface for almost three weeks. Finally, I stirred gently just to break it up and it fell completely by the next day.

drkaeppel said:
My experience was similar with White Labs Hefe yeast (WLP300 I think?). Thick krausen sat on the surface for almost three weeks. Finally, I stirred gently just to break it up and it fell completely by the next day.

Hmm... I think I will give it the rest of three weeks, then do as you did. Thanks!

Back