will a 6.5 gal carboy work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
I am going to make wine for my first time this week. I have a 7.9 gal fermenter for primary. Im pretty sure it will be for a 6 gal batch.

The video I watched (beginnner video) said that you want to use a 6 gal for secondary(is that waht you call it in wine making?). I've got a few 6.5 gal carboys and was wondering if I should be okay with that, or would you recommend that I invest in a 6 gal carboy?

i don't know mate. i don't think there is the violent krausen like with an ale, and i think one wants as little head space as possible. that's what ed's appfelwein thread would lead me to believe, if you look at his pics.

I can't imagine the half gallon will make much of any difference. I have no experience with wine, but won't it still be outgassing enough CO2 where the headspace won't be an issue? If it works like beer, a "blanket" of CO2 should be formed that would protect it from oxidation.

Winemaking book I've been reading mentioned that he "used to purge w/CO2, but gave it up as unnecessary, because enough S02 outgasses after the campden tablets use that the wine will not oxidize in the larger container. I haven't done wine yet, but bought the 6.5 gal carboy just to be sure to have one large enough to do wine.
I say go for it with what you have!
Wine person may comment with more experience, but I trust this book - the complete book of winemaking I think it is, by the american wine makers something or other.

OK, read some more, actually read some pdfs of wine kit instructions -- they don't add campden at that point, so less headspace would be important -- I guess that's where the marbles come into play...

Better bottles are six gallons and that is what I use for secondary when making SWMBO's kit wine. A six gallon better bottle is probably big enoug to use as a primary/secondary for beer as well, so it wouldn't go to waste.

Back