Stainless Steel Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bottles are typical 27oz thinwalled stainless steel bottle with a screw in lid and rubber o ring seal

wanting to use as my final bottles - figure if I can get them for 5$ each they will outlast glass

If you're talking about those stainless steel water bottles that are trendy right now with the hook on the cap then probably not. The obvious question is why would you want to? It's not economical. Do you have 24+ of them to bottle a full batch?

as an backcountry worker I need my beer in a container I can carry and reuse and not for whole batch but maybe 6 or so

What exactly do you do? I'm not familiar with what a backcountry worker is. Do you want to consume beer during your work day? I'm asking to see if there is an alternative packaging that will meet your needs.

My real question is do I have to worry much about excessive pressure in the bottles since the lids are a tight seal with heavy threads. I have used them for packing in beer I put in them out of purchased bottles but as conditioning goes I really don't want a SSbomb

They probably aren't meant to hold pressure.

You can but PET plastic bottles from a homebrew store.

Or you can use plastic soda bottles because they are designed to hold the pressure.

I usually use the brown A&W plastic rootbeer bottles to take on trout hikes or canoe trips where glass is too heavy or forbidden

I like leftover 1 liter bottles from club soda or tonic. They're easy to get, cheap, a good shape for packing (long and thin), and not too heavy. Plus, they hold pressure and don't dent or (usually) spring a leak when you drop them.

Dunk 'em in a stream for an hour or so and blammo! Cold beer in the backcountry. S0metimes, it's worth the effort to pack in a little luxury for yourself.

I'm going to have to agree with the person who said PET. The pressure that beer builds can be a little suprising, and even if the bottle held it, I'd bet that the bottle would rock back and forth the next time you sat it on a flat surface (I have seen a few bottles that were dropped at a funny angle do this).

Back