New Winemaker with Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer88

Reaction score
I just received my new wine making kit from Midwest along with an Island Mist wine kit that I have bought for my wife. I was reading the instructions and it says to clean and sanitize your equipment with a metabisulphite solution. The two types of sanitizer that I have are Easy Clean that i received with the kit and I had also ordered some one step as well. Do I need to find the metabisulphite or will one of these sanitizers work? Thanks for the help.

Any sanitizer will work just fine! Many winemakers use the sulfite, because we generally have some laying around. But since I also brew beer, I use my favorite brewing sanitizer, star-san, for both beer and wine (and mead and cider, too!)

Thanks for the information what type of cleaner to you recommend that can be used in the brewing of beer as well as the wine making?

You just use the OxyClean Powder from the store and if so do you just use as the directions say, and do you know if it is safe to use on better bottles?

soda ash is cheap and I've never had a problem as well...just be sure it's sodium carbonate and NOT sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)..oxy clean is great for getting grape stains out of the fermentor...use as directed but rinse a few extra...

Being primarily a wine and mead maker, I use a sodium or potassium metabisulfite and citric acid blend. It's very inexpensive and lasts for weeks and even months in a covered glass gallon jar. The fumes are wicked though and are very corrosive so keep exposure to metal to a minimum. The liquid is clear so be sure to label your container to avoid potentially unsafe contact.

Any sanitizer will work just fine! Many winemakers use the sulfite, because we generally have some laying around. But since I also brew beer, I use my favorite brewing sanitizer, star-san, for both beer and wine (and mead and cider, too!)

This is good to know. I've been meaning to ask about using star-san with wine making. I find the rinsing part after using the k-meta to be a pain.

Back