Apfelwein and high temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeutscheMaster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On the 19th of July I started a batch of Edwort's apfelwein. Today the bubbles are gone from the top of the fermentor and there is zero airlock bubbling. I know the airlock is not a reliable gauge of activity. My question, is it possible the recent high temps have caused it to finish early. Edworts instructions say four weeks. It has been just over two. I am going to leave it in the carboy, just curious if anyone else has ever seen apfelwein finish early? :mug:

Take a gravity sample with a hydrometer.

There is no other way to tell.
time is a great reference but different yeasts and Juices or even temps will vastly change the length of fermentation.

Where in Wa are you ?

-Jason

Oooph, it's been hot in Puyallup lately.

I started an Apfelwein a week ago, but pitched some of my Saison yeast in it. It has loved the high temps and the flavor at the moment is flat out effervescent. Of course, I have only been doing a one gallon batch during this time.

Another week and it will be ready. I might have to pitch a second batch with Saison yeast before I go!

my last batch, started july 6, cleared in 3 weeks with lavlin ec1118 but i am going to let it age a couple more weeks in secondary before kegging and carbing.
the winter batches all take the 6 weeks to clear.

Back