California Lager Yeast at 70-72 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinoza

Reaction score
I'd like to try California Lager Yeast (Wyeast 2112 or WLP810) at my room temp which is low 70's. Has anybody ever heard about off-flavors or other problems if used above the recommended temp range?

Room temp at my house is 70-72 degrees and I am not yet set up to use lager temps.

Is there much problem with using California Lager yeast at 70-72 degrees ?

If you're looking for the best setup - White labs says this about WLP810:

This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers.
Attenuation: 65-70%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 58-65°F

Realize that ambient temp is usually a few degrees less than what the fermentation temps are inside the fermenter.... so if your room temp is 72 - the fermentation temp is likely going to be 75+ ....... more than 10 degrees above optimum.

.... so if your room temp is 72 - the fermentation temp is likely going to be 75+ ....... more than 10 degrees above optimum.

Thanks for comment.....

However, I still wonder what actually happens to beer flavor and California Lager yeast performance at those temps.

My goal is to get lager-like "clear, no ester, no phenol" taste at low 70's.

I think you're going to have a hard time doing that. Even the cleanest Ale yeasts like to ferment down in the 60's.

I've used the WLP 810 & been happy with the results - but my fermentation temp was 60 degrees. It does have a crisp and clean profile.

Have you considered using a fermentation chamber/ swamp chiller/ cool box ? Search those terms in the DIY section for some inexpensive solutions to keeping fermentation temps down.

Have you considered using a fermentation chamber/ swamp chiller/ cool box ? Search those terms in the DIY section for some inexpensive solutions to keeping fermentation temps down.

OK, thanks.

I could test for taste differences by splitting my wort between: 1) a cool box, AND 2) room temp

:mug:

Saccharomyces:
What are you considering to do for your future brew: "Warm Temp Lager Experiment (??)"

...sounds like interesting idea...

When I fermented 2112 at 70 degrees in a lighter beer it gave me some cidery green apple aromas early on, but that went away after a couple of months in the refrigerator. There was also some unpleasant sulphur that dissipated over time. I think 2112 is meant for emulating Anchor Steam, which is a great beer, but is certainly not "smooth."

Back