Homemade hot sauce recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had this stuff before, hoppy? Good stuff...

20141116_104120.jpg

I've tried the aardvark. I though it captured the fruitiness of the habeneros well and was just about the right amount of heat for splashing on eggs.

Oh crap this stuff is hot. I suggest if anyone makes this, halve the habeneros. The flavor is so freaking great, you'll wish you could eat it by the spoonful.

Mango Habanero Prune hotsauce.

8 Habaneros (mostly yellow), seeded
4 red chili peppers
4 mangos
10 dried prunes
8 garlic cloves
4 large carrots
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp salt
1/2 medium onion
3 Tbsp cider vinegar
Juice from 1 lemon

Put peppers, garlic, carrots, and prunes in saucepan, cover with water, simmer for 10 minutes.

Use a slotted spoon, transfer the stuff above to food processor, plus 1/2 cup of devil water from above. Add the onions. Puree to the consistency you like. I am putting it in hot sauce bottles, so I wanted it smooth. That took about 60 seconds in the FP. If you want to eat it like salsa, or you like chunky, pulse a bunch of times.

Final pH was 4.05. I put in mason jars and processed in a water bath.

_mg_9362-64595.jpg

_mg_9360-64594.jpg

_mg_9364-64596.jpg

_mg_9366-64597.jpg

_mg_9368-64599.jpg

_mg_9370-64598.jpg

That looks (and sounds) great passedpawn..... I have a TON of Habenaros in the freezer and need to take some time to make a new batch of hot sauce. Gonna try this one for sure. I also have a bunch of peaches in the freezer.... might try a second batch of the exact same thing with peaches in place of mangos...... or in addition to the mangos.....

I read all the way back through this thread the other night...... made me hungry for some hot sauce. I have bags and bags of peppers in the freezer...... And, I have almost all of my fermenters full - maybe this weekend!

Seeing some great sauces here!

Here's my second most recent batches bottled. Fermented homegrowns with tomoato, onion, garlic, brown sugar on the left, mango habenero on the right:

20140924_170112_zps4cd45a92.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the final bottled product, but here I'm beginning to make a "super hot" sauce from some peppers that a fellow HBT'er sent me via mail (thanks, HoppyDaze):

20140924_145910_zpscf79425b.jpg

Seeing some great sauces here!

Here's my second most recent batches bottled. Fermented homegrowns with tomoato, onion, garlic, brown sugar on the left, mango habenero on the right:

20140924_170112_zps4cd45a92.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the final bottled product, but here I'm beginning to make a "super hot" sauce from some peppers that a fellow HBT'er sent me via mail (thanks, HoppyDaze):

20140924_145910_zpscf79425b.jpg

That looks like trouble, enjoy! Be careful

Pepper season begins.
Cayenne
Caribbean Habanero
Lemon Habanero
Yellow Daisy Cutter
Yellow 7 Pot
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Chocolate TMS
Jonah 7Pot
Star of Turkey
Jolokia
Chocolate Jolokia
Manzano
Ricotto
Carolina Reaper
Yellow Brainstrain
Bubblegum 7pot
Scotch Bonnet Ministry of Agriculture
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431316940.332724.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431403164.462254.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431403180.812165.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431403200.762328.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431403354.626010.jpg

Cleared some space in the freezer this weekend - Peach/Habanero BBQ sauce. Not super hot..... just a slow gentle burn. Peaches, Brown Sugar and Honey for sweetness. Great on Ribs and Chicken.

sauce.jpg

Hey, I just found a jar of habaneros that I smoked & dried well over 10 years ago. They look fine, but I want second opinions - think they are OK?

I'm sure they're fine to eat but they've probably lost flavor. Might want to grind them down into chili flakes or a powder for dry rubs.

I opened the jar to take a sniff - about maced myself!

They still smell like spicy plums & raisins. No physical sign of degradation. I will make my beer 'n molasses BBQ sauce soon to see.

;)

I got this SFRB of superhots for $10. I can share my source if anyone is interested. Enough heat for gallons of sauce. Even better, dehydrate and make into powders.

image_zpschdnjpol.jpg

I got this SFRB of superhots for $10. I can share my source if anyone is interested. Enough heat for gallons of sauce. Even better, dehydrate and make into powders.

image_zpschdnjpol.jpg

Nice. Is that from Baker's? Also, what is "SFRB?"

Looks like my Reapers will fruit this year before the snow falls again. We have such a short growing season up here, so it's a struggle to get any kind of harvest to speak of.

Nice. Is that from Baker's? Also, what is "SFRB?"

Looks like my Reapers will fruit this year before the snow falls again. We have such a short growing season up here, so it's a struggle to get any kind of harvest to speak of.

Not Bakers...never Bakers, just say no to Bakers.

Small Flat Rate Box

Thanks for the lead- I ordered some for us. I have a few small red hot peppers (loco peppers), and a couple ghost peppers coming. It's already fall-like here, though, and so I brought the ghost peppers in and put them in my little heated pad with a green house set over it, to try to keep them warm enough and humid enough.

@Tiber_Brew - I will be asking you more questions about hot sauce and fermented hot sauces! The lacto pickles are fermenting nicely, and the sauerkraut is just about ready to package. Hot sauce will be my new frontier.

@Tiber_Brew - I will be asking you more questions about hot sauce and fermented hot sauces! The lacto pickles are fermenting nicely, and the sauerkraut is just about ready to package. Hot sauce will be my new frontier.

I'd be happy to help. I'd like to try your pickles when they're done.

My Carolina Reapers are flowering now, and all 4 plants are full and green. I'm hoping to get a decent harvest so that I can make lots of various sauces and store for the winter.

Question: I made my mash and put an airlock right away. After few days i got kham yeast on top. M y Question is :

1. What depends of quantity and quality of kham yeast (circumstances )????
2. What if i put airlock on top and dont let the air go in, and then i get mold on top of mash. I have to open jar to remove it ??? Then i will let oxygen in .???
HELLLLLPPPPP

Khan yeast is caused by too much air exposure or too little salt. What you want to ferment your mash is the existing wild yeast that is already on the veggies. I rarely even rinse the veggies before processing unless there's obvious dirt on them. Use at least 4% salt by weight and you should be fine

Question, i have experience with wine making and its also the same process, but we , to prevent mold we pput a little bit of brimestone in mash so we ca stiri twice a day without getting a mold ,,does anybody try it .

Question, i have experience with wine making and its also the same process, but we , to prevent mold we pput a little bit of brimestone in mash so we ca stiri twice a day without getting a mold ,,does anybody try it .

Interesting use of the ancient word for sulfur. Where are you from? I gather you are not in an English speaking country. But yes "brimestone" would certainly inhibit mold growth. Sulfur is a potent fungicide. I would be interested in some of the hot sauce recipes from other countries, ours in the U.S.A. are usually rather "bland" by most standards.

Yesm m from Croatia. When we are making wine we put a 10 g of sulfur in 50 kg mash ..so im thinking puting about 1 gram of sulfur for 2 kg of mash,,a little bit stronger then reccomendent but it just way to protect the mashfrom O2 and lowering PH. Then you can freely every da open the fermenter and stir without getting mold.

QUESTION: My mash s staying for three days and fermentation didnt start, can the onion or garlic or some other ingredient slow down the ferment ??

QUESTION: My mash s staying for three days and fermentation didnt start, can the onion or garlic or some other ingredient slow down the ferment ??

Yes, Allium plants particularly garlic has incredible microbial activity and can inhibit fermentation. The addition of garlic increases the organo-sulfur compounds. Garlic contains allinase which turns in to sulfur compounds in solution. Which is why garlic gives you bad breath. Your addition of elemental sulfur, in combination with the sulfur containing compounds in the allium could be responsible for it not starting fermentation. Keep stirring, some of the sulfur compounds will be released which might allow fermentation to begin.

Please share your Croatian hot sauce recipes, I am very interested in seeing what other cultures homemade recipes contain. Thank you for sharing.

Back