Stepping into the Sour!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
Here is what I was thinking for my first sour:

6 gallon batch

7lbs dme
1.3 lbs pilsner
1.3 lbs Vienna
5lbs cherries
saaz or styrines goldings hops
.25 for a 45 min
.25 for 10 min
spiraled oak medium roast
t-58 yeast

I would take the .3lbs of the pilsner and Vienna and make a small mash. I would add .3 lbs of the dme to the mash and let cool to 120 degrees. I would then let it sour by adding a hand full of the grain and letting sit for a day or two covered with plastic wrap on the surface. I have a 3 gallon cooler I use for mini mashes that I think would work well for this (it is plastic but I don't think that's a problem). I would then add this "soured mash back into the wort for boiling. I would follow normal procedures at this point, but after 7 days I will rack to secondary which will have oak and cherries in it.

1) does this sour mash look like it would work? How do I figure out what a good pH for the sour mash would be?

2) I've read that some rack to a third fementor after two weeks on fruit, I don't have a third fermentor how will this effect the brew?

3) I could start in my secondary rack to my "primary" and back to my secondary, the only thing is my "primary is plastic and I don't want it to get stained and infected from the sour, cherry oak action. Should I be worried about that?

Thanks for any help.

p.s. primary is 7 gallon+ and secondary is 6.5 gallon. I can change the batch size depending on how I rack, because cherries will eat up some water, I've been told.

I can't offer any advice on the recipe as I've never tried to sour a beer in this fashion. Always seemed hit or miss to me, and probably quite revolting before it gets boiled.

Just want to point out that you don't have to worry about 'infections from the sour' since you will have killed the souring organisms when you went and boiled it. Contamination/infection concerns arise when you use 'bugs' to perform the souring in the fermenter.

I can't offer any advice on the recipe as I've never tried to sour a beer in this fashion. Always seemed hit or miss to me, and probably quite revolting before it gets boiled.

Just want to point out that you don't have to worry about 'infections from the sour' since you will have killed the souring organisms when you went and boiled it. Contamination/infection concerns arise when you use 'bugs' to perform the souring in the fermenter.

thanks

I guess I just have to risk the cherries staining my brew bucket.

also I have been testing what I will use for temp controlling the sour mash.

the problem I am running into is the griddle poors out heat and by the time the thermostat kicks the griddle off it's hot enough to heat the pot up another 8 or 9 degrees.

here are the byo links for the instructions I'm using:
http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/9-all-grain-brewing/1723-sour-mashing-techniques
http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/9-all-grain-brewing/893-how-to-make-a-sour-mash-techniques

According to these I need to keep above 113 and as close to 120 as possible to avoid other undesirable bugs to get into the sour. So I'm Thinking set the temp control for 114 0r 115 and it will heat up to 120-122 degrees which should still give me good lacto growth.

The biggest question I'm having is to go natural or buy a culture. I see pro's and cons for both. Any thoughts?

pics of the tweaking process
PICT0011.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

So I was thinking, would it be better to by some Belgium sour mix ( WLP655 ) to add when I rack off of cherries and onto oak spiral?

I know I might have to age like a year or two, How do I know when to bottle and how long to age in bottles? Does any one have any good posts or web info I could look up?

Check out this site.. He has a lot of information about this kind of stuff. I know Mike has posted here before, I don't know if he still hangs around or not. He is great at answering e-mail though.

Good Luck!

Back