lesson learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
I found out today that you don't want to use your mouth as an extra hand to hold a hydrometer. It doesn't take much to crush it between your teeth. Luckily I only managed to get one cut on my tongue and one on my lip. Next time I'll ask for help I guess... I wasn't even drinking...
thcensored.gif

I'm pretty sure everyone has broken one or two of those. They're pretty fragile :( Never put one in your mouth lol.

So what does glass taste like, eh? I guess a couple drops of blood in your brew may not hurt it. It could be your new Halloween brew.

Good to hear that i'm not the only one that has done that. I couldn't believe how easily it broke. In my case I just ended up with a mouth full of glass.

I learned two new hydrometer lessons over the weekend:

1. I now refuse to keep the hydrometer inside its tube. Too easy to assume, when you pick it up, which side is up.

2. There's a hydrometer (cheaper) that measures the proof of distilled alcohol, not for beer, and it's inconveniently placed next to the real hydrometers at the LHBS.

Luckily I didn't panic when it happened and I didn't get much of a mouthful. I rinsed my mouth and got all the glass out.. I hope. I barely even put pressure on it. It wasn't over the carboy or my sample, so that was good. I only chopped the top off. The whole thing didn't shatter which is a good thing. This has been the batch from hell. Its caused me too many problems.. It may be a sign to dump and quit while I'm only at a little loss.

(I'm not really going to dump it, but I want to)

Wow! THanks for sharing so I know what not to do. THat stinks.

+1 on the comment of the dang hydro tube not being closed when you pick it up.

Back