Dunkles Weissbier Highly hopped Drunkel-Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathematics

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 @ 155
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days
Tasting Notes
Predominantly malty, the munich definitely comes to the forefront.
This is my modified Dunkelweizen/Bock recipe, have brewed it 5-6 times now and seems to be one of my craft beer drinking friends favorites. A good bit hoppier than the style should be, but still predominantly malty. Fermented at 70F or so. Good summer beer and an easy alternative if you can't lager your beer, which a traditional dunkel would require.

Drunkelbock:

0.25 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Special B Malt
0.75 lb Caramunich Malt
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L
2.00 lb Caramel Wheat Malt
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked

1.00 lb Brown Sugar, Dark
5.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract

2.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min)
2.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (60 min)

1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast - I always use a starter with anything over 6% and let it go a day or so before pitching.

60 minute mash @155F, 60 minute boil. I bottle carb with 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar. ABV = 7.5% ish, 75ish IBUs. Flavor is heavy on the munich, hint of banana/cloves but nowhere near what a typical hefe would have.

img0046y.jpg

I heart munich malt.

Drunkelbock:

5.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract

Truly...5 lb of wheat extract???
just sound like a lot to me>
I shall be giving this one a go though, thanks muchly for the recipe, have been looking all over for something like this!
might change a couple of things though, like amounts of certain ingredients, like the wheat extract & the hops...me no likey hops so much, esp in this kind of beer!
:mug:

Into the boil, then another 2/3 of a cup for bottling.

Man this wasn't all that long ago that I posted this and I already feel like this recipe is way over the top now. Funny how our recipe-making seems to change the longer we brew :)

I'd change the 60min bittering addition to something with slightly higher AA, then do 1oz each of the pearle/mt hood @ 30 minutes. The hoppiness of the original recipe seemed to fade after a few months, and that was what I really enjoyed about this beer.

I'll have to brew this again and re-tool the recipe a bit.

Thanks for the info, and do you bring the brown sugar to a boil with water the same way you do with the dextrose. And I dont have to worry about the hoppiness fading for me, my beers never last that long.

Ya brown sugar should go in last 10-15 minutes of the boil...or atleast thats what I do. And I'd definitely toss atleast an oz of Hallertau or something similar at 15 minutes left in boil...get more of the classic dunkel hop flavor.

Thanks for all the info this is def on my to do list, after a watermelon wheat my girl is begging me to brew. (cant say no to her since she is the one who got me my starter brewing kit) but i do have one more question it is in both primary and secondary for a month each. just wondering since it would clog up my pipe line for a minute.

Back