Bourbon County Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
I got this in the Secret Santa trade. Chilled it and poured it into my Samuel Adams specialty glass. My initial impression on the pour was that this was going to be a sumptuous beer. If you can get a bottle of this, save it for a cold night. It warms you to the bone.

It started out around 45F and ended up around 65F over the 45 minutes it took me to drink it. The flavors opened up and really expressed themselves in different ways as it warmed.

This beer is absolutely delicious.

I totally agree with the above assessment. The flavors really opened up as it warmed. I also received this in a Christmas gift exchange in my homebrew club. What a fantastic treat! It was the 2013 bottled in November.

0ed8e444-4ae3-48c4-a7fa-d7794a56ac65.jpg

I would love to find a clone for this. They provide the ingredients on the web, but do not provide the proportions. I might have to play with this one.

BTW, the label comes off as a souvenir with hot water in the bottle and a little steam over boiling water. Gently apply a razor blade and it will peel off with little effort. I set it on a sheet of paper under a pane of glass with some weight on it.

Great beer. I received a four pack for Christmas. I'm sitting on two of them for a while.

i have the option of only getting 1 bottle out of these 3. which would you choose? 2010 Juliet, 2012 Bourbon County Coffee Stout, and 2012 Bourbon County Cherry Rye. decisions, decisions

i have the option of only getting 1 bottle out of these 3. which would you choose? 2010 Juliet, 2012 Bourbon County Coffee Stout, and 2012 Bourbon County Cherry Rye. decisions, decisions

I haven't had either of those BCBS variants, but based on the other BCBS beers and the reputation those two have, I'd definitely go for either of them over the Juliet. I have a bottle of the coffee sitting around waiting for the right day to come along.

I have not had those exact years but I have had all three of those in general and I would go with the Coffee.

I may be in the minority but I did not like Cherry Rye. I had it in a flight at a bar with the Bourbon County Coffee Stout, Barleywine, and (plain) Stout. Cherry Rye was the only one I did not like. The cherry tasted odd and a bit artificial (not saying it actually is artificial; just perception). My wife thought the same.

I was also disappointed with the one bottle of Juliet that I had. Lolita is pretty good, but Juliet was not very impressive, especially given its high price.

Back