Hefe Weizen and carbonation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theparsniprevolt

Reaction score
I was recently in Germany and I had the Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weizen and I fell in love with it. When I got back to the states I found it bottled at my local beer store and took it home and was so disapointed. It tasted overly carbonated, which it wasn't at all like in Germany.

my questions are: Why does it taste so carbonated?
and I want to start brewing it myself, is there a way to make it non-carbonated or have very very little?

thanks

There are quite a few reasons that the Hacker-Pschorr you had in the States just didn't measure up to its German counterpart.

The 3 biggest IMHO are:
1. Not fresh
2. Pastuerized
3. You may have served it too cold.

If you are dieing for a Commercial Hefe that is excellent from the bottle pick up Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.

They are highly carbonated, but when you drink one in germany the caronation is very fine, so the beer seems quite smooth as a result.

Bottled and on tap will make a big difference as well. But that being said, you should get that nice ice-cream-cone head and quite a high level of carbonation. With home brewing you can do pretty much what you want, so adjusting the level of carbonation is a snap.

Welcome to the forums! :D

Back