Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im aware of the aging time and all, but it seems from this thread that, it was a lovely beer even at bottling time, so i was wondering what when wrong.

If i remember correctly when i brewed this, it wasnt all that great till about month 6 for it to start to shine though. Could be the yeast hasn't settled yet and that is what your picking up in the flavor.

My favorite recipe! Took second place in the first round of judging in the American Homebrew Association National Competition.

AHA 2nd place 2017.jpg

General question guys.

I note that the sugar syrup is listed in the grain bill and presume the recipe found on their website manages this as grain with respect to the listed OG. However, if the syrup is added to the pot at the end of the boil, shouldn't 100% of the available points be used as the contributing amount and not subject to the brew house efficiency as would be the grain?

I'm struggling to reconcile the OG numbers in this recipe and thought this may be a factor I hadn't considered.

When brewing the recipe provided by Candi Syrup, Inc. I came up with 1.082 OG and not the 1.077. I believe this would be the correct figure when adding the 2 lbs of D-45 at the end of the boil. So my question is actually regarding the correct target OG for this clone. Is it the stated 1.077 or the actual 1.082?

Last edited:
I brewed a batch listed on csi website. It came out very clean. This next batch i will try to start fermentation temp in the high 60s. I will try to keep it under 72ish. Has anyone else have similar results?

I brewed the original "trial 001" recipe in post #1, however I missed the OG due to it being my first all-grain brew (BIAB) and had lower than expected efficiency. I added 1lb D-90 to get up to the correct OG. Bottled about 1 month ago. Taste is good but like others have said it lacks the complexity of the real Chimay. I believe it is overpowered by the yeast flavour still and needs time for other flavours to shine through. Will check back at 6 months.

Back