Too Cold for WLP380?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
I'm fermenting in a fridge in my garage with a temperature controller set at 62* but its just not warm enough to get up that high. Right now the temp in the the fridge is 58*. Is this too cold? It's been about 24 hours and no visible fermentation signs (I know I know, read the gravity) but wondering if 58* is just too cold.

You should be fine. I'd give it another day at least. I try to pitch around 55-57* and usually don't get visible fermentation until 36-48 hours.

Assuming WLP830 = Saflager W34/70 = Wyeast 2124, it may just be slow to get rolling, based on what I've found here.

Anecdotally, the CAP I'm lagering took almost 72 hours to start with 2 packets pitched at about 52 degrees. Once it got going, it really got going though.

Things are all good now, fermenting happily. I'm assuming it'll be a bit slower since it's 10* under the recommended 68*

Back