My AG setup...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy915

Reaction score
just wanted to show off my awesome equipment. I just kind of threw it together and have made 6 AG batches with no problems at all. Hopefully this will answer some of the newbie questions about an all grain setup.

Getting the ingredients together to make an IPA
11-16-2010brewing002.jpg

my BIAB grain holder with 2 layers of paint straining bags held in place with some clips, my mash kettle, and my hot liquor tank. I heat about 4 gallons of water in the mash kettle to strike temp and drop in the grain holder and fill it up with my grains. The hot liquor kettle is holding about 5 gallons of water heated to around 185°
11-16-2010brewing005.jpg

I was shooting for 150° but would rather be a little low b/c I can always turn the fire up to target temp.
11-16-2010brewing006.jpg

My 10.5 gallon boiling kettle on top of my turkey fryer with a grill grate I bought at academy sports for 3$, and my mash kettle. I know I'm not supposed to use the fryer indoors but I have taken the proper precautions.
11-16-2010brewing010.jpg

I pull the grain basket out of the mash kettle, put it on top of the grill grate and rinse the grains with the water that was in the hot liquor kettle. I also add the wort from the mash kettle. I add enough water to the boiling pot to get around 7 gallons.
11-16-2010brewing015.jpg

Here the grains are draining into the boiling pot while its coming up to a boil.
11-16-2010brewing016.jpg

I don't have an immersion chiller so I put my pot into a ice bath.
11-16-2010brewing020.jpg

I put my ice bath tub on top of my kitchen counter and place my carboy into it so I can keep it cool by adding frozen bottles of bottled water. ;)
11-16-2010brewing021.jpg

I add the stopper and bubbler then wrap a dark towel around the carboy and in a few weeks I'll be ready to taste my new brew. :ban:
11-16-2010brewing022.jpg

Well, I hope this helps out some of you. Let me know if you have any questions...:mug:

I counted 13 bags of grain in your first pic. Did you use 13 different types of grain to make a beer?

I counted 13 bags of grain in your first pic. Did you use 13 different types of grain to make a beer?

It was 10 bags of pale ale malt (1# each), 1# of carafoam, bag of German Vienna Malt, and a bag of Simpsons Dark Crystal. I placed an order for two batches so I split the carafoam, vienna, and dark crystal in half; and the other 10 bags of pale ale malt are in the shipping box (out of frame).

do i spy a brewsmith brew log back there?? nice strainer/pot unit too! what is the capacity??
BeerSmith Brewsheet. The strainer/pot came together when I bought my turkey fryer from ebay. Think the pot is 7.5 gallons.

Oiy in the house propane?
Yeah, I know, but I have high ceilings, monoxide detectors, and haven't had any issues

There is still some un burned propane that makes it out. Propane is heavier than air so it will ride along the floor. You get a spark from a hot water heater, stoker, etc. You have an esplosion on your hands. Something to think about.

Great setup otherwise though. That strainer makes BIAB a cinch!

Back