Belgian IPA finished w/ Brett B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
I've never used bretts before, but I've been thinking of brewing up a belgian IPA and splitting the batch and doing half with some Bretts. White labs faq say I can normally ferment and when it begins slowing down to rack it onto the brett b (WLP650). Is this how it's normally done and will it get much funkyness out of it? I was thinking of doing the batch with WLP550 which has a high attentuation, so I'm concerned there won't be anything left for the bretts.

Brett can make quite a bit of funk without too much gravity, but it will take some time. I would suggest holding off on adding the dry hops to that portion until after the beer gets as funky as you want it. I just added hops to a sour beer that I started just over a year ago. It will also help to speed things along if you build up a starter for the Brett a week in advance.

If you're concerned with having nothing for the brett, mash hotter, then add sugar to the clean batch to dry it out a bit after you split them.
Wait to add dry hops to both batches. The clean half should be done with the sugar before you add hops, and the brett batch half should be well on its way to being ready to bottle before you add any hops.

the way I would do something like this would be to brew up a very funky brett beer, and after it has aged to where its got a lot of funk I would brew up a very very hoppy IPA and blend to the two to taste

this way you get the funk and a very fresh hop flavor/aroma

the way I would do something like this would be to brew up a very funky brett beer, and after it has aged to where its got a lot of funk I would brew up a very very hoppy IPA and blend to the two to taste

Great idea if you keg, but too much of a risk (in my opinion) if you are bottling.

Brett will ferment longer chain sugars that normal yeast can't. Try it in secondary and if you want more funkiness, you can add it earlier next time.

Brett will ferment longer chain sugars that normal yeast can't. Try it in secondary and if you want more funkiness, you can add it earlier next time.

oh, did not know that. If my primary yeast (WLP550 Belgian Ale) got my SG down to 1.015 as predicted, would I still need a starter for the Brett B and would I get much funk from that low of a SG?

Also, would I want to let the WLP550 do any cleaning/conditioning, or would I rack it ASAP and let the Brett B do it all?

oh, did not know that. If my primary yeast (WLP550 Belgian Ale) got my SG down to 1.015 as predicted, would I still need a starter for the Brett B and would I get much funk from that low of a SG?

Also, would I want to let the WLP550 do any cleaning/conditioning, or would I rack it ASAP and let the Brett B do it all?

That is more than enough gravity for the Brett to work its magic, but that sounds like too high an FG for the "clean" portion. You would give the beer time in primary to clean up and drop partially clear, just so you don't have to deal with a bunch of trub in secondary (~2 weeks should be fine).

I would still make a starter, like any yeast Brett needs oxygen to reproduce, so it is nice to give it some time in a well aerated starter with some simpler sugars (rather than the long chain sugars that will be left after primary fermentation).

sounds allot like the Orval clone i did turned out great same yeast about the same fg and added brett in secondary 3 months

Another option is to stick with your single batch, add your brett b and wait until you get nice funk and the gravity stops dropping. At that point, do some dry-hopping just prior to bottling. That way you don't risk bottle bombs from brett chewing away at the newly-blended sugars.

Another option is to stick with your single batch, add your brett b and wait until you get nice funk and the gravity stops dropping. At that point, do some dry-hopping just prior to bottling. That way you don't risk bottle bombs from brett chewing away at the newly-blended sugars.

if you fine and then add campden to the brett portion you really shouldnt have any problems, Ive done this now with a few lambics and Ive yet to experience a bottle bomb

The other reason I suggested blending, is that while dry hopping adds A LOT of aroma, it is a bit lacking in the flavor department, but maybe you could do a hop tea to add before bottling if you dont want to blend...

is there a temperature range you would suggest holding at once the brett B is added? the beer is going to be relatively hoppy to begin with and I plan on dry hopping with 1oz of chinook once the bretts are done, and I want a noticeable amount of funk, but not overwhelming

I was wondering how this came out, or what your progress has been so far. I am brewing an IIPA tomorrow, planning on throwing Brett in the secondary then dry-hopping at the end.

So I actually got sidetracked by other beers and forgot about this. I did something similar with a barleywine, but unfortunately thats still bulk aging so I don't know how it worked out. I'll hafta give this a go soon tho

Back