Ever wonder how UPS handles "Fragile, Glass inside" labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Like Ace Ventura, apparently. I sent a friend a few bottles via UPS and this is what showed up at his house.

100_3498.jpg

100_3499.jpg

Thankfully, double boxing saved the day. I put the bottles in a box that fit them closely, stuffed that with peanuts, then put that box in a big box, again cushioned by peanuts.

So next time you're packing your beer and you think it's overkill, it's probably not :)

-Joe

holy crap that is really beat up. i have had some dented but not like that.

I hope they handle packages with TLC..I just shipped a very expensive guitar to England. Fingers crossed...I have a friend that's a UPS driver and he doesn't seem to take the best care of packages sometimes.

Yeah well fedex isn't any better. A buddy sent me some HB via FX and when it was delivered, the box was soaking wet. Obviously it happened in the delivery truck as it was still dripping when he handed it to me.
Oh well, when it isn't packed well, then s**t happens.

You need way more stickers than that. I ship fedex and UPS every day and out of the two, fedex is better. If I am sending something fragile, I put fragile and glass stickers on every side. Sometimes even two per side.

I used to work at UPS loading the trailers. They train you to squish boxes. Keeps them packed in tight for shipping, donchano. The lighter ones are less likely to get abused, as long as they're not light enough to throw. I'd say between a six pack and a 12 pack would survive the best.

But still pad the holy hell out of anything you ever ship if it can get mutilated in any way. Hundreds or even thousands of boxes in a shift, anybody could manage to mangle a few.

Yeah I work in a bridal boutique and we have some $14,000+ dresses here that the boxes have literally had a side torn off ('taped' back together) or torn in half. Ummm sorry, if that dress is damaged guess who's paying for it.

...they also know me very well at UPS...

Still thanks for the great idea on packing up HB.

I had a magnetron replacement for my microwave show up in a box that looked really bad. They driver didn't even ring the bell. My guess is he was scared that I would be pissed. I almost didn't want to use it but I let the repair guys install it anyway and it worked like a charm heh It was the same deal... box in a box with peanuts.

That is why I never label anything fragile, even when it is. SWMBO asked me about it recently as I was packing up some beer.

Having worked at a place that did shipping (no names), and knowing the *****ebags that I worked with there and how they took pleasure in f-ing up stuff labeled fragile, I would NEVER put any stickers or notes on any package indicating contents that could be potentially damaged.

I used to work for staples and we sometimes would get laptops shipped to us via ups. Few times boxes that were clearly laptops were really f**ked up and the screens were actually completely destroyed. Had a few others stolen.

We were also a ups drop off so I would see them loading and looking for packages on the truck. They would kick boxes around throw them off shelves onto the floor all kinds of stuff.

From what I used to see they dont pay the slightest attention to any labels saying fragile or anything else.

weirdboy is right: I have seen EVERY box labeled as "Fragile" get destroyed.

I NEVER add those labels: don't draw attention to your box. incognito is best, IMO.

Yep, we bought a light fixture that was shipped UPS. It was late arriving so we were wondering what happened to it. One day I walked out my back door and looked over at the 7' fence gate and saw a package laying there on the concrete. Apparently our UPS guy didn't feel like opening the picket fence to walk up to our door so he just threw the box over the fence into our side yard.

The UPS manager and I had a frank discussion of my opinion over the phone that starting something along the lines of "You gotta be ****ing KIDDING ME, what kind of IDIOT do you have working my route!?""

Well I deal with UPS and FedEx Ground and Express daily. Both ship boxes that I receive damaged at times; but one thing I note is that even though FedEx is contract workers I find that UPS drivers (not so much the shipping and packaging) deliver the products on a higher quality. By that I mean security. There is no greater feeling than proving that a FedEx driver stole about $6,000 worth of Iphones from security cameras in the store after claiming he dropped them off. They don't have cameras on there trucks but they do have cameras at there loading dock as I have on mine....

Don't get me wrong we have had plenty of boxes opened from UPS that each case is handled by their distribution prior to us noticing say a missing new video game or laptop. And UPS is quick to file reimbursement claims to my company pretty quickly...

Proper packing goes along way to insure you have good shipment of everything...especially if its something as important as home brew or a classic guitar (or in my case a surfboard now and then (talk about a b!tch for packaging!!))

When I get a box like that at work I don't even check it. Its the ones that have no damage you have to worry about.

Let me start of by stating "I share in all your frustrations", but I can speak from first hand experience.

I worked for UPS for 4 1/2 years as a loader/un-loader. I can attest to that most of the damages I experienced were due to the packages getting jammed/wedged in the system of belts,diverters and chutes on the unload operation.

Once they have the centers sorting/loading system built it is very difficult to make changes to handle growth, they deal with it the best they can until volume allows them to build an entirely new facility. Unfortunately they factor in for damages like any business.

It is there business and I can tell you they take mishandling of packages (by employees) very seriously. So, try not to make it personal because it usually is not the driver or managers intention to deliver a damaged packages.

I know this is little consultation to broken brews, but I thought I would try to shed some light on the process.

Merry Christmas

Mick

Back