Just bought a pound of nelson sauvin hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plant them and see if they grow

Lol. That would make my dreams come true if it was possible.

To the OP, I'm in the same boat. I have over a pound of Nelson Sauvin and always push back any recipe that has Nelson. They are very potent so they tend to be the 'feature hop' if used even in lesser quantities than other hops.

The commercial beers with Nelson seem to feature it solo more often than not.
Sierra Nevada had a Beer Camp Belgian Black IPA that featured Nelson. The Nelson actually went well with the dark malts, although the Nelson + Belgian yeast + Black IPA was maybe one thing too much (If I made it I'd ditch the Belgian yeast).

I brewed a Saison with nothing but Nelson. Turned out quite well, though if I did it again I would use a different bittering hop- something with a little more bite to support the fruit / wine flavors.

I've also found it wonderful for hop bursting; throw a small amount at the end of boil in a pale or IPA for a little something special.

Some great ideas. I was going to do an IPA with a malt bill similar to enjoy by and just let the hops shine, but a brett APA could be a solid choice.

I made a SMaSH of NS in august. It's has changed its flavor overtime more than any other beer. Started out very "apricoty" and is now much more citrus.

I love the smash idea because its the best way to figure out what a particular hop will do (and do over time). Ive had NS in two beers and I got both an apricot and a lemon note. Both were awesome but very different.

Ahh gotcha. Grest idea. Kind if what i was thinking. Simple malt bill, so i can really showcase the hops. One 60 minute addition to bitter, a few late boil additions for flavor and two heaping dry hop additions for that huge aroma. Simple straight forwars ipa goodness.

Saison ~1.055/~25IBU, Nelson and take your pick of complementary hop and a touch of bitter orange peel, 3711 down to 1.020 then pitch brett B.

Back