first starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
i made a starter to find out if my yeast is alive (it was stored in the freezer for a few weeks). so not sure if my starter worked or not. so i bought another packet of wyeast. its been about 15 hours since i pitched the yeast into the starter, i dont notice any bubbles, krausen, or smell. should i throw out the starter and pitch the new yeast, or pitch both the packet and starter? would anything harmful happen if the yeast was dead and still pitched the starter. id make a new starter but i boiled the recipe already, so id just pitch the yeast directly on the cooled wort. its cooling now

You put your yeast in the freezer while still in the smack pack?

yea i had it shipped to my parents house, my mom didnt read the yeasy pack, and saw it came with an ice pack, so she put the ice pack along with the yeast in the freezer. i came over to brew, and saw it was in the freezer, let it thaw and made a starter last night.

I'd just throw the new yeast into what you already have going......

meaning the starter? the guy at the shop said if some other microbes started growing bc of the yeast being dead, it might mess things up so he suggested just tossing the starter.
I just tasted the starter, it was still very sweet/sugary, its in a growler so i cant see much inside, there seems to be a layer of yeast on the bottom tho.
i may take ur idea, i popped the smack pack about 45 mins ago, so im going to give it another 2+ hours to let it swell and do its thing, and see if anyone else wants to chime in.
Thanks

so my solution was my old mr beer kegs as my primary. in one mr beer keg i put about 3/4 of the new wyeast packet(which swelled up nicely), and in the other keg i put the other 1/4 of packet along with the starter i made.

Back