Need Ideas for an in line filter between BK and Plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have done some reading on the forums, but really only found ideas of using a filter in line for after ferm. Anyone have an idea of how to make an inline filter between BK, pump and plate chiller?

Thanks

how does a hopback work? From want I read, you use a bed of whole leaf hops to filter the beer. My concern is that the hops you filter with will increase the hop profile of the beer. In many beers this could be bad.

Is there another way to use it?

Some have reported using a Blichmann Hop Rocket as a filter. I do know from experience that doing what you describe is much easier said than done. The combined debris from whole and pellet hobs plus the break material can sometimes be a big gooey blob of slop that does not take kindly to filtering. Much depends on the hop form and the quantity of hops. It's one thing to deal with a few ounces, but quite another when you dump 3/4 lb into the kettle. Post back if you come up with something that works well for you.

how does a hopback work? From want I read, you use a bed of whole leaf hops to filter the beer. My concern is that the hops you filter with will increase the hop profile of the beer. In many beers this could be bad.

Is there another way to use it?

Yes, I think you can use it as a Randall and push the carbonated beer through it when serving. When used as a hop back it certainly can change the hop profile, but how and how much only you can determine for your system. You will either like the effect or not and you can vary the hops or variety of hops for a different effect. I suppose I would start with an oz of something and see what happens. The effect is similar to flame out hop additions in principle.

I use hop bags for my pellets, but I still get some trub picked up. I am going to use my plate chiller and heard it can clog with trub. So I was thinking of making a CPVC tube with a filter screen in it to catch the break before the chiller. Maybe fill it with rice hulls?

Will the rice hulls leave chaff in the wort?

I bought a 200 micron nylon filter from duda diesel and recirc the last 15 minutes of boil.

Filter Bag

Think of hop spider with hose stuck in it. I get extremely clear wort going into the fermenter. Glass and Hydro Sample are right after runnning through my plate chiller.

Latest posts

Back