Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone - #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI 4 days in we are down to 1060 from 1159. NOt too bad! Giving it a good stir tomorrow to rouse the yeasties again. I will add 2 lbs of maple syrup probably on Saturday.

When you add the additional maple, do you stir it in or just let it sit? Curious, because I'm going to try a version of this very soon myself.

Awesome... where's my O2 stone?

Did you buy a cooler or finish that mash tun AGAIN?

Only reason you'd need the O2 stone is if you were brewing and the last I saw I couldnt tell if you were building whiskey barrels or making a mash tun..........................

BOOM
STICK

I'll bring your fermen-keg to the next meeting.
Dunkelweizen = DONE

Only reason you'd need the O2 stone is if you were brewing and the last I saw I couldnt tell if you were building whiskey barrels or making a mash tun.......................

He's going to set the O Stone up to pump pure oxygen over his brewstrocity. That will get the SOB blazing for sure.

PTN

He's going to set the O Stone up to pump pure oxygen over his brewstrocity. That will get the SOB blazing for sure.

PTN

ROFL

Brewtrocity

hindenburg1.jpg

When you add the additional maple, do you stir it in or just let it sit? Curious, because I'm going to try a version of this very soon myself.

Everything gets roused up when anything gets added. We will also hit it with O2 when the MS goes in. There is still a lot of activity yet to go. We need to keep those yeasties in procreation mode.

PTN

blah blah blah... the MT is done and has been done. Anything I'm doing now is just additional playing around with it just for the sake of playing around it.

I'm brewing this weekend. I would have brewed yesterday but I was in NY for work all day.

Too bad you couldn't brew today, the snow woud have kept the fire risk lower.

your azz is a fire risk.

And that's a good call Bird. I'll give you the heads up when I have a partculary long boil planned. If I think the rigs gonna get a little warm I'll just have you watch it for a couple of minutes. Problem solved.

blah blah blah... the MT is done and has been done. Anything I'm doing now is just additional playing around with it just for the sake of playing around it.

I'm brewing this weekend. I would have brewed yesterday but I was in NY for work all day.

I'm going electric for the boil kettle, screw gas/propane.
Wiring it up tonight
BOOM
STICK
Nice and quiet so me and Shannon can hear the birdies go tweet tweet tweet ;)

AND

I can brew when its friggin 10 out and windy!!!!!!!!!!

Back On Topic

Thats A LOT of gravity points in that short amount of time.
What is the beer fermenting at? I figured it would take much longer........... what temp did it ferment at last time?

It's in a closet in Yeager's living room. (Insert wisecrack HERE about how it must be crowded in Yeager's closet what with the fermenter, the skeletons and Yeager himself, who has been in the closet forever.) I haven't checked his thermostat but I'm betting it's in the upper 60's there. That's what it was at last year.

And yes, that is a sheetload of fermentation to have happen in 4 days. We're already at 14% ABV! Chris said it started off fast and was banging away like Ron Jeremy in a convent by Sunday night.

PTN

On a 100% completely unrelated note.... I think I need to host a "come over and eat and drink a lot" event soon.... not necessarily tied to a brew session (although I guess that's possible). New Years was great times and everyone in my house is finally over a few miscellaneous stomach bugs etc... I'm ready for a couple dozen beve's.

It's in a closet in Yeager's living room. (Insert wisecrack HERE about how it must be crowded in Yeager's closet what with the fermenter, the skeletons and Yeager himself, who has been in the closet forever.) I haven't checked his thermostat but I'm betting it's in the upper 60's there. That's what it was at last year.

And yes, that is a sheetload of fermentation to have happen in 4 days. We're already at 14% ABV! Chris said it started off fast and was banging away like Ron Jeremy in a convent by Sunday night.

PTN

Is that hotter than last year?
That had to get up into the upper 70's..............fusels.......?

Take me tuna fishing come the fall and talk nonstop about what works and what don't.

PTN

How the eff am I going to talk nonstop around you?
Unpossible

What works
Paying attention, thats the only secret to tuna fishing
Pat attention ALL THE TIME

Or we could just freakin' brew a batch.

i know it would be like trying to paint the Sistine Chapel with crayons but something tells me we could somehow manage to make something drinkable.

So it would have to be at your place............I'll bring those red bottles that shoot that powdery white stuff.

On a 100% completely unrelated note.... I think I need to host a "come over and eat and drink a lot" event soon.... not necessarily tied to a brew session (although I guess that's possible). New Years was great times and everyone in my house is finally over a few miscellaneous stomach bugs etc... I'm ready for a couple dozen beve's.

ROFL
Typical....................................................

Sure as **** didn't taste any fusels in last year's Utopias clone. I was gobsmacked at how little alcohol taste there was, especially in comparison to the "real" one.

Sure as **** didn't taste any fusels in last year's Utopias clone. I was gobsmacked at how little alcohol taste there was, especially in comparison to the "real" one.

Neither did I and thats why I am questioning the fermentation of this years version opposed to last years.

If its fermenting as high as I think it could be (68 is at least 76 and could have been higher) there is certainly the potential for fusels.

Well WTF... if I waited for someone like you to host it, it would never happen!

I gotta get the SWMBO on da Facebook... scare up some drinkin' pahtna's.

**** facebook

You going to do some camping this year?

Put those prunes in the Consecration clone yet?

Have a hangover this morning
F Dub made a nice smokey wheat, had a sample last night.
Oh, he did some blending with a soured Dunkelweizen..................
TREMENDOUS

**** facebook

Agreed... which is why I'm not on it. I'll let the boss do whatever inviting she wants ta do through it though. That way I don't have to deal with it.

You going to do some camping this year?

yeah... but WTF does that have to do with anything?

Put those prunes in the Consecration clone yet?

You and your freakin' prunes. No, I gotta make up the top-off batch first and have F-Dub and The Legend (Colby) taste it and sign off on the game plan.

Have a hangover this morning
F Dub made a nice smokey wheat, had a sample last night.
Oh, he did some blending with a soured Dunkelweizen..................
TREMENDOUS

Oh cool... thanks for the invite. appreciate that. That worked out well for me. And you're giving me guff 'cause I wanna host? People don't like us enough to invite us over. We have to bribe them with free food and beer so they'll come to our place.

Agreed... which is why I'm not on it. I'll let the boss do whatever inviting she wants ta do through it though. That way I don't have to deal with it.

I may have to , my brother is on there and I soooooooooo want to tool on him :D

yeah... but WTF does that have to do with anything?

Throwing it out there, we're going to start booking sites soon

You and your freakin' prunes. No, I gotta make up the top-off batch first and have F-Dub and The Legend (Colby) taste it and sign off on the game plan.

Prunes, should have been plums at the beginning like I said but.................................

Oh cool... thanks for the invite. appreciate that. That worked out well for me. And you're giving me guff 'cause I wanna host? People don't like us enough to invite us over. We have to bribe them with free food and beer so they'll come to our place.

You have an open invite, its every Thursday night and you know that.
Got my skee-matic all drawn up last night for the 240 kettle.
Two electricians and a third guy that builds electric components.
It was like a brewer being in a room with Caligione, Koch and Steel

:rockin:

Nice quiet brewing

Might just brew THE Baltic Sunday

Finally brewing my freakin' smoked ale this weekend. I'm reeeeeeeally pushing it if I want it ready by the comp.

it'll be ready.

wouldn't mind brewing both days.... we'll see.

I'm really tight on fermenter space unless I open up one of the big 30 gal conicals. Maybe I'll do a 15 of the Always Bet on Black

What kind of smoked ale? I'm so pissed about the efficiency on my "smoked old ale" from last weekend, I ****ed something up because I'm pretty sure I didn't even crack 60%. Forgot to add my damn pH buffer, which is usually good for about 10 efficiency points. Was shooting for 1075-ish, hoping for 1080, if my refractometer is right I think I got ~1055-ish. ****.

I think you ******** took the sugar out of my wort and put it in the damn utopias!

What kind of smoked ale? I'm so pissed about the efficiency on my "smoked old ale" from last weekend, I ****ed something up because I'm pretty sure I didn't even crack 60%. Forgot to add my damn pH buffer, which is usually good for about 10 efficiency points. Was shooting for 1075-ish, hoping for 1080, if my refractometer is right I think I got ~1055-ish. ****.

I think you ******** took the sugar out of my wort and put it in the damn utopias!

Try a decoction for Rauchmalt.
I get 83-84% for 1.058-ish Rauchbiers
Finally brewing my freakin' smoked ale this weekend. I'm reeeeeeeally pushing it if I want it ready by the comp.

it'll be ready.

wouldn't mind brewing both days.... we'll see.

I'm really tight on fermenter space unless I open up one of the big 30 gal conicals. Maybe I'll do a 15 of the Always Bet on Black

Charlie%20Murphy.jpg

Oh, I'm usually a lot higher than that. I was running pretty consistently north of 75% before I had to shut things down. Mash tun was ****ed up (how the **** does a ball value get a damn crack in it? if nothing else, this batch will be a test of hot-side aeration). Wanted to check pH, but can't find my strips. Forgot the buffer, which helps me a lot. can't even confirm my gravity, since I lost my hydrometer and haven't been able to verify that I'm interpreting the refractometer right.

Meh, I'll get back into it. If it's not eight degrees and windy on Sunday, might even brew another batch!

Oh, I'm usually a lot higher than that. I was running pretty consistently north of 75% before I had to shut things down. Mash tun was ****ed up (how the **** does a ball value get a damn crack in it? if nothing else, this batch will be a test of hot-side aeration). Wanted to check pH, but can't find my strips. Forgot the buffer, which helps me a lot. can't even confirm my gravity, since I lost my hydrometer and haven't been able to verify that I'm interpreting the refractometer right.

Meh, I'll get back into it. If it's not eight degrees and windy on Sunday, might even brew another batch!

Might just end up being the best beer you ever made :rockin:

This
is why I am going 240.

I'm also worried that the rauch wasn't particularly aromatic. Meh, I'll rack it this weekend or next and see how it tastes.

Did I hear somebody say "smoked wheat?" That's got to be on my agenda soon. Wondering about maybe trying one of those cherrywood-smoked malts, something other than classic rauchmalt. Anyone try that stuff? There was some place, I think out in CA, that was selling all kinds of interesting smoked malts, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

I had a beer made with home smoked malt, he used cherry.
The beer was AMAZING

I'm going with a Smoked Dunkelweizen, substituting Rauchmalt for the Munich.
55% wheat and 45% Rauch with a dash of Carafa II and some Crystal.

I can get sacks of Weyermann Rauchmalt locally for $55+ tax.
Still have some I need to use up.

If you really like Smoked Beers the book by that title is a MUST GET
Got it for Christmas this year............... great book

For my smoked ale Bird... I'm lookin' at something like this:

6 lbs Munich
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb of Carastan (30-37 lovibond)
1 lb of Carared (10-20 lovibond)
1.5 lbs of the Rauch malt
1.5 lbs of Cherry smoked

something around 45 IBUS and then some US-05

It won't be a true "rauchbeir" at all but that's fine. With the Carastan and Carared it'll be a real deep amber with a bit of smoke but it won't be an over-the-top smokey beer by any stretch.

For my smoked ale Bird... I'm lookin' at something like this:

6 lbs Munich
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb of Carastan (30-37 lovibond)
1 lb of Carared (10-20 lovibond)
1.5 lbs of the Rauch malt
1.5 lbs of Cherry smoked

something around 45 IBUS and then some US-05

It won't be a true "rauchbeir" at all but that's fine. With the Carastan and Carared it'll be a real deep amber with a bit of smoke but it won't be an over-the-top smokey beer by any stretch.

THAT looks very good!
You changed it up a bit right?

DONT let what I am about to tell you sway you PLEASE
I've been reading/hearing that the Cherry smoked malt is about twice as smokey as Rauchmalt.

That looks ****ing etherial. Love Munich and the smoked malts together.

Do the Carastan and the Carareds add any sweetness? I don't think I've ever used them; are they more-or-less just a crystal malt, or are they different?

all I did Babalu is bump the smoked slightly... not much but slightly.

The Cara's should add a fair amount of body and some sweetness. The Red especially should turn the beer a real deep amber.

And if that's the case Babalu on the Cherry... I might knock it down to 2 or 2 1/2 pounds on a ten gallon batch. I'm not looking for a ton of smoke. I want it to absolutely be there I want it to blend nicely instead of being the overwhelming focus.

I'm gonna to ten gallons so... I dunno... we'll see.

Back