Mash Tun Price Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
i'm thinking about switching from my rectangular mash tun to a round cooler with a mesh false bottom. i'm wondering if i could get some opinions on what a reasonable price would be to sell my current mash tun. i can't remember what i paid for any of the parts. it's been used for about 10 batches and is slightly scratched/stained/warped, but holds temps and filters grains very well.

it's a 70 qt Coleman Extreme cooler with a slotted copper manifold, ball valve and hose barb on the outside.

opinions appreciated.

Brand new, my LHBS sells the complete 5+gal round false bottom unit for around $120. The false bottom alone runs around $60 there. I was able to sell my barely used one on Craigslist for about $80.

I would think something homemade would run for cheaper than it's "commercial" equivalent, but the size is a pro. I would guesstimate around $50-75 for the parts, labor and TLC.

Just one man's opinion.

This guy sells a 60 quart converted cooler with CPVC manifold and fittings for $75. Yours is a larger cooler and doesn't use CPVC, but it's used so maybe around the same price?

just out of curiosity, Why are you switching?

the main reason is that i plan on building a steam-infusion system, and i feel like a rectangular cooler will make it hard to make an efficient manifold. i'm also interested in experimenting with fly sparging, and the round cooler lends itself more easily to a sparge arm or manifold.

This is just a thought but if your goal is steam-infusion I think adding an ice cream mixer, with some modifications, could stir the mash during infusion with the new cooler.

Make the lid out of plywood and mount the motor to it.

I use steam on my rect cooler, never had a problem. You have to stir anyway, it doesn't really matter what the shape is unless you are going to motorize it like the person above stated.

Back