It's frickin' freezing in here, Mr. Bigglesworth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefitz

Reaction score
Brew%20night.jpg

Maybe cal ale yeast wasn't appropriate.

That is definitely an advantage. If you can keep the hose from freezing, using your IC chiller outside and you've got a wicked fast chill!

I did a brew sub-0 the other day. Not fun!

You get insane boiloff, but cooling it is nice. I just ran a hose from the sink out the window, left the pot outside in the cold wind.

I bet your wort chilled quickly!

Last Saturday I was able to bring 12 gallons of boiling brown ale wort down to 70 degrees with tap water through an IC in 15 minutes. :rockin:

On another note, we got 5 inches of snow last night and 8-14 on the way for Thursday night into Friday. After last winter's 100+ inches, I'm still a little weary of snow. :(

Call me crazy, but I miss the freezing cold and snow. The San Diego weather is boring to me 72 and sunny year round gets old....fast. I'm heading back to western MA on saturday for two weeks and cant wait to go play in the frozen white stuff :rockin:

Call me crazy, but I miss the freezing cold and snow. The San Diego weather is boring to me 72 and sunny year round gets old....fast. I'm heading back to western MA on saturday for two weeks and cant wait to go play in the frozen white stuff :rockin:

Will be snow on the ground when you get in. We're supposed to get a foot on Friday

You get insane boiloff, but cooling it is nice.

Yeah, once it got going it was almost impossible to see what was going on in the pot. I used a hair dryer to blow the steam away to check on the boil. Definitely was the fastest my chiller has ever worked, 3.5 gal 210-70 in under 8 minutes.

natefitz:
What was your starting volume? I brewed a batch outside when the temp was around 20-25F. I never achieved a boil with starting volume of 6 gallons. After a couple hours and a max temp of 200 degree F, I figured that was the boiling point at somebody's elevation. So I dumped in the bittering hops and started the timer for a 60 minute "boil." Haven't tried the beer yet. Should be ready in a week or so. This batch also featured a stuck sparge, hot-side aeration, broken racking cane, forgotten 5.2 and poor mash efficiency. One thing's for certain, if it's good...I'll never be able to duplicate it.

I'm rambling...back to the point...how did you reach and maintain a boil at that ambient temp??

how did you reach and maintain a boil at that ambient temp??

The starting volume was about 3.5 gallons. My 20psi banjo burner got it rolling in about 7 minutes. I ended up with about 2.75 in the primary after 60 minutes of very vigorous boil.

Just transferred to secondary tonight and the hydro sample was delish.

-Cheers

0 degrees? Dayyyyummm! It got down to 33 here last night and I thought we were gonna die! I don't see how y'all can function in such temperatures.
Beers,
Ken

Very nice, I will be going from above freezing temps (50s) to well below when I head up to Washington this week. They are having the worst winter storms in like 10 years I guess.

The winter warmers (Jolly roger christmas ale, Descute Jeabule etc..) will taste all that much better though.

Latest posts

Back