Help in making a CO2 manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
I am currently changing my 1 keg system into a 4 keg system. I need help in designing or procuring a manifold. I will be going through the side of the fridge and storing CO2 outside. My questions are:

1) Can I get by without individual guages/control for each keg? What are the downsides?
2) Any design considerations for being able to force carb one keg while the others are attached? (I like to kick the pressure up to 35psi for 3 days on new keg)
3) Any tips for avoiding leaks? (ie special connection consideration)
4) Good places to source the block manifolds and parts?
5) Connection to air line tips? (ie ditch the plastic dohickies)

I am getting the beer lines/air lines/ball valves/shank-nipples/and taps from Bevverage Factory. Also heard about quick connects for air lines instead of clamps so I wouldn't mind building those into the design.

Thanks for any advice.

1) yes, the downside being that all of your beers will be carbed the same. Iff your anal about such things you would want to carb each beer as appropriate for each style of beer, otherwise just pick a good middle ground that you like and carb them all the same.

2) If this is the case, you will want a secondary regulator. Set your primary to 35, connect a "Y" to it one going to a hose/connector for force carbing (also useful for a counter pressure bottle filler) and another going to the fridge for serving. Have the secondary in the fridge set at serving pressure and going to your manifold or what ever other distribution system "Y"s "T"s etc your planning on.

3) Teflon tape where fittings screw in. Oetiker clamps for hose barbs. Turn on the pressure and spray with starsan or liquid soap that will bubble if there is a leak.

4) I have a couple of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93979 there are two openings on one side as shown and one on the opposite. Unscrew the plug and use a nipple to connect tow together and you would have a five way splitter. Not the most elegant but it would work. Alternatively Search beverage factory for "manifold". looks like they stock two and three way blocks that can be chained together for whatever number you need.

5) what plastic dohickies?

3) Teflon tape where fittings screw in. Oetiker clamps for hose barbs. Turn on the pressure and spray with starsan or liquid soap that will bubble if there is a leak.

I dunk my whole harness in a sink of soapy water and turn on the gas. Give it about 5 minutes and you will know every joint is secure. Rinse, dry, use.

Be careful with the teflon. Flare fittings are designed not to use it, and can mis-seal if used.'

5. I think he means ball lock fittings.

Back