What do you think of these gas valves.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine is a mobile home furnace repair guy. I was asking him what kind of price he could get me on honeywell gas valves, hoping for a wholesale price. He said that basically most furnace gas valves work the same. When he replaces a furnace he strips the working parts. He gave me 5 gas valves. He said they all work the same as the honeywell. They are 24vac, standing pilot. They are all set already for lp as all of them came out of lp systems. Three are coleman brands.
86145464.jpg

972dc71b.jpg

2 are RobertShaw
06fc4551.jpg

Also is this converter big enough to run 3, in all likelihood I would never have more than 2 burning at the same time.
0139ff2d.jpg

Awesome score. Those should work great. You'll have to add pilot burners (unless you have those too). It looks like they have the thermocouple but if not, you'll need those too.

That transformer is rated for 40VA (volt amps). The Coleman valves say .23 amps so multiplying by 24 volts, that's 5.5 VA per valve. Should be good to go.

Now I need to score some furnace valves from a friend.

all but 1 have thermocouples and pilot burners attached. he offered some 1/2" unions also, said if it was him he would attach them to the black pipe with unions in case i needed i needed to switch one out

They should work fine, but you might want to google the part #'s and see what kind of BTU output they're capable of. I talked my HVAC guys into giving me a few valves and a couple transformers as well. Unfortunately 2 of the ones they gave me came out of smaller furnaces and are only rated for 50K and 65K BTU's, which is quite a bit less than I'd like. The third one's rated for 150k BTU's, and I have it controlling my HLT burner. If I had a direct fired RIMS one of the smaller valves might be perfect for the MLT burner.

Back