120V Control Panel Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaserchap

Reaction score
Alright, I know all the advantages of a 240VAC system, and would love to go that route, however, as I'm in the military and moving a lot, it's not very practical. I don't plan on doing more than 5 gal batches (at least not until I can bump up to 240VAC), so from what I've seen it's possible to put together a 120VAC system.

I'll be using two 1500W heating elements in the HLT which will also be used as my brew kettle. The wiring I have right now has the PID controlling both heating elements. Couple of questions:

What is the approximate equilibrium Temperature using just one heating element? Ideally I'd have one heating element always on and the other controlled by the PID.

By "always on" I mean I'd like to have it always on while boiling and/or using it for sparge water. Would having a switch on the "always on" heating element, and turning it off at some point during the boil affect the PID's learning?

Finally (I think) could I use one DPDT Relay for both 120VAC inputs? Essentially I want to make sure that even if I use only one relay my two loops are totally isolated, so I don't blow any breakers.

As you can see on the wiring diagrams there will be two 120VAC inputs, I've got two breakers to outlets in my garage (I'm pretty sure they're GCFI protected, by I'll make sure before going through with any of this) so I would plug into both outlets while brewing, to supply the 120 to both elements. That way I shouldn't pull enough amperage to throw any breakers.

Also the power wiring diagram shows the ground of the second power input going to the neutral bus, I don't plan on doing that anymore, just wiring it back to the ground on the input.

attachment

attachment

Comments? Questions? Concerns?

That's odd, they show up for me. Anyhoo:

1-31-12_11-45-18_AM.jpg

I just noticed the Neutral Bus on the above image isn't showing up very well, suffice it to say, it's there. Also, the power is coming in at the 0~0 marking under the Power Relays, both of which will be 120VAC

1-31-12_11-43-40_AM.jpg

Back