making wine..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohan

Reaction score
hi guys. i have never made wine before and was thinking about it... i have made a few beer brews and was just wondering if it is preety much the same. do you use the same fermenter?? i only have 1. and put it into secondry or straight into bottles??

thanks guys..

ps: can you put it into beer bottles??

So many questions! Depends on what type of wine, what gear you have and how long you want to wait before you drink it! I have country wine racked up that can't be drunk for approximately 18 months. Wine takes longer than beer to age out, you might want to look into it a bit more before committing to the 'smaller section' (i.e. wine discussion!) of this forum. Get some wine bottles, get a(nother) carbuoy, a wine kit and give it a go. Rack it off, get a beer back on primary and think about your 'wine futures'. With the little outlay of a few wine bottles (recycled for free in your area?) and a plastic carbuoy, wait till you can taste and decide. (Save your beer bottles for the Beer!) :)

i just have a fermenter so i will need to get some wine bottles but that wont be a problem. i know it will take longer but thats no problem. i just want to give it ago.. i think i will try a batch soon. see how she turns out... thanks for you advice mate...

It's like caplan says.

If you want good wine it can take 12 months plus.
If you want wine like the Bars and pubs serve from a tap you can do that in 4 weeks. There are some kits available that you can drink in 7 days but they rely on flavourings etc.

The ones that are ready in less than a few months stop the fermentation and add lots of finings.

My LHBS gave me some free half bottle wine samples (red and white) that were made from a kit. They tasted great!

I am therefore also thinking about trying one of those small wine kits (6 bottles). Are they any good? I'm also thinking about using an old 5 litre water bottle to ferment in (pop a hole in the top with a grommet for the airlock). I guess this type of fermenter would do as they sell them in HBS?

I've had some awesome home made wines and some that I told the brewer he should market as gourmet vinegar. While I'm very proud to serve home made beer, I'd be less assured to serve home-made wine to those I'm trying to impress.

then again, I live in Illinois where you can't grow grapes. But my grandma and grandpa were bootleggers and used to grow grapes and make wine way back when.

BlightyBrewer said:
My LHBS gave me some free half bottle wine samples (red and white) that were made from a kit. They tasted great!

I am therefore also thinking about trying one of those small wine kits (6 bottles). Are they any good? I'm also thinking about using an old 5 litre water bottle to ferment in (pop a hole in the top with a grommet for the airlock). I guess this type of fermenter would do as they sell them in HBS?

No initial problem there i'm sure as long as it's new and from a reliable source and the airlock fits. Be careful with overactive yeast in the primary though, foaming and popping out airlocks you can do without!

Back