WLP 830 German Lager - Fermenting in the 60s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I seem to have a fruity (apply) flavor imparted on a batch of lager I attempted using WLP 830 German Lager. I completely missed the temps I want in the kegger, so I went into the basement and am primary fermenting in the mid 60s with this strain. It isn't dominating the taste profile, but it's definately there.

Can I pretty much attribute this to the too warm of a primary fermentation for this yeast strain?

Can I do anything about it? I want a clean tasting lager, and not a weird fruity one.

is the kegger close enough to where you can put the carboy in there for a bit, then pull it out? If the basement/surrounding area is only 60, you should be able to regulate 50 pretty easily.

I could rack into a corney and throw in keggo in the low 40s. I'm already at 1.016 (target like 1.012).

It's a bit late now. All the esters that are going to form have formed. You're better off keeping it in the 60s to help clean up some of the diacetyl that was formed from the warm fermentation temperature. For future reference, that yeast will ferment in the low 40s, albeit a little more slowly. But it's better to be lower than the optimal range than to be higher.

Argh. I am tempted to actually DUMP this batch. It would be a first. Only high gravity screw jobs I think are worth keeping around. What's the point in a fruity lager. Gross.

Argh. I am tempted to actually DUMP this batch. It would be a first. Only high gravity screw jobs I think are worth keeping around. What's the point in a fruity lager. Gross.

I wouldn't do that. It might be very drinkable, maybe not "to style", but who knows... it still might taste good.

Well, now that you have a good lager yeast cake in there you could re-do the fermentation the proper way, this time. Brew the exact same grain bill, throw it onto that yeast cake, ferment lower, then compare the two beers.

A neat exercise in diacetyl and acetaldehyde, I think.

I have a feeling this'll turn into one of those batches that sits in primary for a couple months.

I wouldn't do that either.:) It could develop even MORE off-flavors from decaying yeast cells. Best to get it in secondary soon after it finishes fermenting.

Back