What the heck is this taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenchiro

Reaction score
I started noticing in some of my brews a flavor that I don't know how to describe. I had been chalking it up to simply green beer, but in the last Irish Red I made it was great at first then after sitting in bottles (after the 3 week carb time) started to occur.

It is almost astringent, but it kind of has a soap/bile quality as well but not quite. It is not strong but it is apparent. I get it most when I hollow and with my mouth closed exhale through my nose. I was getting worried about my process until yesterday when I had a Red Hook ESB off a local tap. It had the same exact taste and came across at the same time. It is most noticeable in non wheat beers.

I almost want to say it is a quality of the hops. But I dunno.

Well I have this "taste" also in some of my beers that I can't describe. The only common factor besides my proscess is that they all have EKG's.

Never had this with an american ale that I made. I don't have a clue, maybe I am imagining the whole thing.

Sorry I can't help I am just feelin your pain.

I had something on that order in a brew - it was so bad I thought I could not serve it to friends. I put it aside for 4 months and it went away and was great. I THINK it was hops.

Perle, Mt Hood and Cascade in one batch - still unknown.

Yeah I think it may be the cascade, I have been looking at the beers where I notice the taste and cascade is usually in there.

Back