Hop substitution for Dead Guy clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo64

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if someone could help me with hop selection for a Dead Guy clone. I believe this beer style is or is close to a Bock. The recipe I have calls for hops additions of Perle at 60 min and Saaz at knock out.

I have a selection of hops and want to pick a suitable substitute. I have:
Columbus
Centennial
Cascade
Northern Brewer
US Goldings
Tettnanger
Galena
Hallertauer

I'm thinking on using the Galena instead of the Perle, but I'm not sure about the substitute for Saaz, maybe the Tettnanger or Hallertauer. Any ideas? I'm not real concerned about making an exact tasting clone BTW.

The hop substitution chart at the BYO webpage is good stuff, but I don't see much help on the Saaz substitute.

I agree that Galena would be fine for bittering, but there really isn't a good substitute for saaz. It's slightly spicy, and a noble hop, and maybe the closest would be tettnanger or hallertauer. It's not a good substitute, but it's the only thing on your list that would even be in the same ballpark.

I agree that Galena would be fine for bittering, but there really isn't a good substitute for saaz. It's slightly spicy, and a noble hop, and maybe the closest would be tettnanger or hallertauer. It's not a good substitute, but it's the only thing on your list that would even be in the same ballpark.

Well thanks for the advice Yooper. I listened to the Jamil show for this clone and Tasty MCDole (sp?) was suggesting Northern Brewer to sub for the Perle and Centennial for the Saaz. Centennial seemed off the chart to me. (well just that's me looking at the charts so who knows)

Back