The Most You Have Paid For One Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if Jester's Red will tell us what she payed for that ginormous bottle of Double Bastid? :D

Saw a 3-liter bottle of Double Bastard a couple days ago for $85. Also, a 4-pack of 11oz Delerium Tremens for $22. Didn't buy either.

The most I've spent is only $10 for a 22oz of Deschutes Abyss.

I'm not an expert in this area, but my opinion is that most beers peak well before 5 years. It's of interest to drink beers of older vintage to note the changes- what still stands up, what flavors have faded or changed and what oxidation has done- more so than drinking such a beer at it's peak.

Thanks. I just don;t want to spend a bunch on a bottle someday and let it sit past prime essentially not getting the most out of my money.

Utopias would be a great gift! It's definitely one of those things you wouldn't normally buy for yourself, but would love to have. I hope to someday recieve the gift of rediculousness. I would be afraid to drink it.

$15 for 2007 Old Crustacean XS (ceramic bottle), $18 for Cantillion.

I am tempted to buy the old crusty but I can never bring myself to. American barley wines are one of my favorite styles but I often wonder if I am paying for the ceramic bottle or a really great barley wine. Perhaps someday.

$13 is the most I have paid for a single bottleof beer, but it was a liter.

Oh, and I recently saw the magnum of Double Bastard on sale for $72. Still can't afford it though. :(

I spent 15.99 plus dep each on 2 bottles of SA Chocolate Bock. I had one bottle that night and it was meh. I probably would have liked it had it retailed for 9 or 10 bucks but it wasn't anywhere near worth the price. I still have the other bottle sitting in my cellar waiting for a good reason to open it...

If I ever come across some Delerium Tremens, Omegeddon, Vertical Epic, or a few other select brews, price becomes NO object!

I once bought one of those double mags of Oaked DB, I think I payed like $65 at wholesale (worked at the beer shop at the time), gave it as a wedding gift :D

+ 1 I bought one from my local beer store, cost me 65 bucks, SWMBO saw the reciept and now I have a flip top head and the lock is on my wallet!!! But damn the beer was good!!

Eastside

An aside...whenever I see one of these high-priced singles (like say, SA Chocolate Bock) I'm always afraid to try it. It's not that I'm afraid that I won't like it, it's that I'm afraid I will like it. What's a worse budget-buster than acquiring a taste for $15 per bottle beer? ;)

I'm going to pay 15 dollars for a Rouge IPA and their Barley Wine, but I want them for the bottles almost as for whats inside.

I spent 15.99 plus dep each on 2 bottles of SA Chocolate Bock. ...

You had to pay a bottle deposit for a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock? This is on my sampling table for beer night tonight with some buddies. I picked up two bottles for $13/ea about a month ago at a Happy Harry's (liquor store chain in North Dakota) in Fargo. They had cases of this stuff with a big sign "$16.99" and it was slashed and they were marked down to $13, but no deposit on bottles required.

7 something for a Lambic last year.

homebrewoccasion14.gif

About $8 for a big bottle of Duvel perhaps.

I don't have enough money to spring on anything more than ~$6-8 per bottle.

I still can't bring myself to get the $16 6pack of Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale

my most expensive single beer?

I paid $407.50.

$2.50 for the beer.
$25 for the 'public consumption' ticket,
$380 lost by taking the day off work to go to court for 5 minutes.

and it was a corona.

B

The cost of the beer hasn't really bothered me lately. I look at it as research for what I want to try and clone. Recently I've had a $6.99 Founder's Breakfast Stout, an $8 Chocolate Indulgance, and a $6.50 Hopslam. I know I've spent more, but these ones are sticking in my mind at the moment because I wouldn't mind trying to make two of them. The $8 beer was the most disappointing.

$9.99 for DFH 120 Minute. I should have believed the label when it said "Ages Well". I drank it right after it was bottled. Did not enjoy it one bit.

New high for me. I usually dont care what a 750ml or 22oz bottle of a belgian will cost but tonight I just learned that one of my favorite bars, Coles, is charging $15 for a 11.5oz Chimay Red. Not even 6 months ago it was $8 at the same bar.

ARE YOU F#%$*ing kidding me. Almost 100% inflation. Go to hell. damn good except I can get it at the grocery store for $12.99 for a 750ml

I paid $50 for a bottle of DFH fort at a really fancy wine/beer bar, totally worth it as I shared it with great friends and enjoyed it. Also paid $25 or so for bottles from de Preof and Jolly Pumpkin there. Would do any of these things again.

At a liquor store....O'dells Woodcut (again, champagne sized bottle) was $30, it is cellaring now. I also bought about six bottles of Deschutes Dissident for about $13 ea.

edit, the DFH was a champagne sized bottle...

WoW. Good thing I started this thread or else I couldn't get in it with my high rolling $3 beer.

These beers that are larger than a tall boy, do you have to drink them all at once or can you put the cap back on and save it for later?

Have a $22.99 canadian bottle of Deus waiting for a reason. Also picked up a four pack of Belgiums (Nostradamus and ?) for 26.00 the same day along with a couple of singles. Wife looked at a $90.00 beer reciept and gave me the look. Good thing I got her to hold onto the bottle to chill it at the time.

I think I paid $18 for a champagne-sized bottle of DFH Theobroma once. Really very overrated; it was cloyingly sweet to the point of drowning out the other flavors, which were overly subtle. I appreciate that DFH is doing all these experiments and all, but this was just not worth it.

I guess it was DFH Fort, $8 4-oz pour. Found it later for $17 bomber.

Much, much better on tap.

$27 is my new high, But that included Shipping. A fellow HBT'er was nice enough to part with a bottle of '09 DarkLord for his cost plus shipping. It's cellaring now till October.

Yes $15 is the highest I've paid for a single bottle, aforementioned Dark Lord.

I really loved the oak aged vanilla bean version though, I hope to come close with my current RIS.

$35 on a bottle of Angel's Share - Unique beer, have had better from Port for less though.
$30 on a bottle of La Folie - Haven't cracked this one yet.
$120 on a case of Fred from the Wood - I've still have 21 bottles left, excellent beer. Would have considered the $240 for the Cherry Adam if there was any left.
$70 for 8 bottles of Doggie Claws (2001-2008) - Completely worth it, turned it into a tasting evening with a few of the fellas and some nice stilton. Good notes.

I've spent $15-20 on single bottles on more than a few occasions. In many cases the beer didn't justify the cost, but the beers were rare enough or limited releases that made it worth the experience. The worst was probably a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's La Roja that was one of the early batches (07 some time?) and was overly sour compared to later releases.

Honestly I'd take a bottle of Duchesse, Rodenbach, Unibroue, or Wisconsin Belgian Red over any of those for under $10 a piece.

As has been said, the cost per bottle is paltry in comparison to wine of the same caliber, and beer surprises me pleasantly more often. (and not only in the expensive bottles)

Back