Did I ruin my first batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
My first attempt at producing children is leaving an off-taste. Should I let them ferment out, bottle them off to college and see how they turn out or should I toss the whole batch for adoption and free up my fermentor for a second attempt?

I think I stored my yeast at too high a temperature. Either that or the yeast is too old. My wife says I pitched too early bit I think she's just being mean.

Send them to college and try again. This time pitch late and large!

My problem is that on brewing day I get over-excited and I pitch before I realize. It's a while before I can get myself ready to re-pitch. Should I make a starter in advance and store it in the refrigerator? I don't think I can fill a 2L soda bottle.

Could be that you have an infectious process going on. That's what I attribute most off-flavors to, anyway. Some wild yeast drifting in the batch and taking over, methinks. Use more sanitizer and control the process more tightly.

Could be that you have an infectious process going on. That's what I attribute most off-flavors to, anyway. Some wild yeast drifting in the batch and taking over, methinks. Use more sanitizer and control the process more tightly.

Wild yeast? Crap. I need some sort of locking device on my primary?

My problem is that on brewing day I get over-excited and I pitch before I realize. It's a while before I can get myself ready to re-pitch. Should I make a starter in advance and store it in the refrigerator? I don't think I can fill a 2L soda bottle.

I think the problem was you pitched when it was too hot! If you just hadn't had such a vigorous boil going?? I'm sure this batch will be fine.

I think the problem was you pitched when it was too hot! If you just hadn't had such a vigorous boil going?? I'm sure this batch will be fine.

I sure hope so. It was mellowing nicely but seems to have developed a snotty "teenage" attitude. Can I do anything to relieve the bitterness? Dry hop? Finings? Clip 'round the ear?

Snotatude is difficult to contain once it gets going, but now is the time for prevention of future ills. Remember that locking device you mentioned? Now's the time.

Well, I hate to be mean, but there is NO way I'm doing a first batch swap with you. I mean, I had few problems with the first batch (if I do say so myself) but I'm glad it's over and gone. It really was not bad for a beginner.

The second batch was easier, but I've heard that's typically true. I didn't have to worry about infectious processes, but it seemed like this one costs significantly more than the first batch.

I don't think you want a starter, but you may want to slow down the pitching rate. You still want to pitch the same volume, but you may want to spend more time aerating. Even some dry hopping before pitching might make the batch more palatable.

Snotatude is difficult to contain once it gets going, but now is the time for prevention of future ills. Remember that locking device you mentioned? Now's the time.

+1 on this. It is harder once it gets going. You might consider the lock to keep from negative elements and lessen future risks.

You still want to pitch the same volume, but you may want to spend more time aerating. Even some dry hopping before pitching might make the batch more palatable.

I don't know if it's just an urban-myth but I understood the side-effect of too much dry-hopping was that it affected the eyesight.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm pissed that you started this AFTER I left work, so I missed all the action...But this is a great thread....

Uh...don't dump them unless they smell like satan's anus, you hear me? Just stick em in a closet (or off to boarding school) and they will mellow out with age.

Well played my friend, well played!!!!!!!

64021719.CHPTbjAb.applause.gif

Back