Atomic Apfelwein??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
Last month I womped up a batch of Edwort's apfelwein. Unsure about the viability of the yeast I used ( a pack of Nottingham I had in the fridge for months) I dumped in a packet of safeAle the following day. As of today, it's been 4 weeks, and it's still bubbling away!

I'm assuming it's going to be damn strong, any thoughts on the flavor I might get from the oddball yeast combo I used??

i actually just started a batch of apfelwein in a mr beer fermentor and thought it was contaminated at first since there was alot of stuff floating on top + a circular layer of film/tiny bubbles -- but has since cleared up and is bubbling like crazy now.

It can take up to 6 weeks to fully ferment.
I used 2 Safale US-05s and it was still going strong at 4 when I kegged it

Adding more yeast will not make it stronger.
All you need is adequate yeast.

As long as fermentation completes then the only ways to increase ABV is with more fermentables or a yeast that attenuates more fermentables.

I've done it with nottingham. Can't say I liked it. Montrachet may take longer, but it's worth the wait, and the apfelwein has a much crisper, drier flavor.

Back