Forgot to Boil Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goforevercrazywithit

Reaction score
I think I have made my first major mistake as a homebrewer. When bottling my first beer (Belgian Wit), I just dumped in the priming sugar and stirred thoroughly. It's been bottled for one week so far.

Is it possible for it to carbonate just fine anyway?
What should I expect?
How could I go about fixing this if carbonation will not happen?

In this case i would just go buy the carbonation tablets and put one in each bottle. Way easier than trying to put sugar in each bottle (more sanitary too).

*edit* Misread post. I thought you bottled and forgot to add the sugar. That is what i get for reading the posts on my phone.should be fine with what you did.

You should be okay. If you opened the package and poured it straight into the bottling bucket, you should be fine. If you sometimes use table sugar from your sugar bag or canister that sits out on your counter, boil a little water and dissolve the sugar in it. Let it cool and then batch prime.

It should be ok. You should boil it with some water for sterilization purposes but also the liquid dissolves easier in the bottling bucket.
You should(ideally)siphon some wort into the bucket ,add the priming sugar dissolved in water and then siphon the rest of the wort in there to mix it so you don't get inconsistent carbonation.

No need to do anything. Just allow carbonation to occur you should get the same result that many brewers before you have done. For many years, brewers have put sugar directly into the bottle dry - without boiling - and had good beer come out. No boiling, nothing else. That's why home brew shops sell sugar measures and funnels.

Personally, I believe it is better to boil and sanitise the sugar first. I would not be concerned if I were you as what has happened has already happened. If it's infected, that's already happened. If the beer is fine, that has already happened to.

I think you'll be ok

cheers

Back