Advice on automated system for my brewing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciderguy

Reaction score
I have recently gotten my system together and would like some advice on what kind of an automated system. I don't want to get too deep into money (I know its going to cost either way and I want to do it right). I have 80 gallon kettle, HLT, and mash tun, and a RIMS unit on order. I would Like to get some kind of a system put together that will give me some basic controls over my valves (propane and liquid), pumps, and temperature control with a basic display. Any advice? I have been reading for a while but a lot of this still sounds a little over my head. Anyone want to recommend a good system for a beginner? Thank you!

P1000913.jpg

Cider,
There are lots of different possibilites for doing your system. A lot depends on how much electrical/electronics experience you have or are willing to learn. There are some pretty compete systems out there and some junk too. I dont have enough experience to tell you which, but some of the other veterans will hopefully come along and point you in that direction. As far as automating goes a simple plan will go a long way to deciding how and what you wish to automate. I would suggest a line drawing of your system with arrows for fluid direction and heavy lines for hoses and see where you get, from there you can decide what you want to happen and build from there. Hope this helps.
WCB

Yeah... I don't have extensive knowledge with wiring but I can learn. I wouldn't necessarily need everything automated. I would like to start with something that gives me control over everything, which I may be able to expand or upgrade into an automated system without throwing or replacing any of the equipment I buy. I have found a line drawing or two that I am considering for my system. I just don't have any experience with the electronics and I was hoping someone could tell me what is and isn't junk. Thanks for the response!

Cider,
Sounds like a winning approach. I am doing basically the same thing. Everwhere I put a switch is an opportunity to allow a microchip to have control in the future. So my initial desigh has a huge number of switches. As the design progresses I will begin replacing switches with transistors or FET's, or ? so I can do the function with 5 volts. After I get the switch working with electronics, I will teach myself to code and program a 40 pin chip to make the decisions about which switch and when. So it is a 3 or 4 step approach to get to where I want to be. Dont get discouraged and feel free to ask questions. You never know when a particular question will unlock the whole project and help it all come together.
WCB

Deciding on how to implement your control system depends on to what extent you want to automate your brewery. If you want to have a fully automated system that will automatically activate pumps and valves at different points of the brewing process then you will need a centralized controller like a brewtroller, BCS, computer with lab view or DIY with a microcontroller. If you don't want to have it fully automated then you can consider using standalone PID temp controllers and switches.

I was just going to say I am looking into PID controllers and switches. It looks like a very cost efficient system that fits in my budget right now, and it should do everything I need. Thanks

Cider,
I found an Ebay seller selling the REX C-100's for 14 bucks each. I ordered 5 to get my system started. So far with all the components, boards and switches I am still in for less than a hundred bucks. I think eventually I will break that barrier, but for now the chinese stuff is making this project much cheaper to start out. If you need the vendors list let me know and I will post up some I have been using that have decent ship times and tracking.
Bob

Hey,

I just saw your system and I am planning on building a similar structure. How do you connect the propane tank to the top burner? Do you put the tank high or do you use a "extension tube" or something?

thanks!

The propane hose actually reached the propane tank on the ground, but you can buy propane hoses at hardware stores. I work in a marine supply store and we sell them too.

Those hoses will be very well secured and shielded, I trust. I presume your picture is of things just set in place for the initial "demonstration" flame. Seeing the hoses lie close to the lower keggle puts them way too close to the lower flame for my peace of mind. As pictured, I would not want to see the lower burner lit if you were my neighbor. I don't want to see the aftermath if that hose catches fire. Black pipe is fairly cheap; skin grafts are not.

I used black pipe for rigid lines, and corrugated stainless flexible lines where needed. I would suggest connecting the propane hose at the very bottom of the sculpture, below the heat. There are plenty of rigs with pipe to be seen in the DIY section, where I learned to build mine. The Brutus 10 style gas beam is beyond my abilities (no welder), so I plumbed mine.

One thing I did not learn there, and only recent learned to my chagrin, is that Home Depot and Lowes will cut and thread pipe to the exact length you need, without charge. I spent a while piecing things together to fit with stock parts, only to recently learn that they will do this. That would have simplified my build, and might be useful for yours as you plumb it.

Back