Getting started in kegging - room to grow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altenmuenster

Reaction score
What is the best way to ensure that I have room to grow into a 4-keg system if I only have the money for one or two right now.

Basically what is the difference in equipment (regulators, CO2, lines) if you decided to add a keg or two later on?

get at least a double regulator. This way you can have some beers carbing while others are at serving temp.

When I initially bought my set-up, I got a dual gauge regulator to run 2 kegs, one on each regulator. Then when I was ready to run 4 kegs, I got 2 y-splitters and 2 more shut-offs. Works great.

For me, the best value was purchasing a 4-keg kit which came with the 4-way distributor (with individual shut-offs, etc.). The price difference between a 2-keg kit and a 4-keg kit was $70 when I purchased a month or so ago.

Trying to piece it together, the cheapest I could find the distributor for alone was about $50 + shipping. That eats up most of that $70 difference and when you add in more disconnects and hose, it wasn't economical for me to buy smaller and upgrade later.

Since then, I've purchased 5 more kegs, so now I've got 9 kegs, 4 of which can be on tap at once. Gives me room to continue brewing, even if we're not consuming as quickly.

So, the main equipment difference is the distributor/regulator.

I like the advice about the price difference with four bundled kegs. I'll keep it in mind.

Is there a difference between a "double regulator" and a "dual gauge regulator".

I think I just have a dual gauge regulator and wanted to know if I could get a splitter to run 2 kegs on it? I've got 4 or 5 brews (got a lot of recipe kits for xmas) lined up and no where to put them!

dual gauge regulator to a multi-port manifold is a cheap and easy way to go. a double regulator is two low pressure regulators (or more) in tandem, so that you can have one set for one pressure and one for another. sometimes nice to have but typically not necessary for most regular beer styles... the good regulators can always be turned into dual, triple, quadrupal regulators in the future as your needs and budget grows.

Back