Old Wyeast Packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_Persitz

Reaction score
I've got 3 packages of 1056 and 3 packages of 3068 Wyeast Activator packs that've been in the fridge for almost a year and a half now.

I had completely forgotten about them until I found them buried at the bottom.

I got them for free because I know the owner of wyeast through a friend.

I'd love to use the 3068 on my next batch but I'm concerned about viability.

If I smack em and they swell, think they'll be safe to use?

I wouldn't use them and I doubt they would swell. Most if not all the yeast in there is probably not viable.

I would make a starter a week or two in advance to see if your yeast are still alive and to grow them back to the right numbers, since such a long period in the fridge will certainly have killed most of them.

I used Wyeast that was a year old after making some hefty starters. It took off slowly, but once it got going, all was well. I would add to what rocket said and start probably a month ahead of time to make sure they are active. If not, you still have time to get fresh yeast.

Just make a starter a couple days in advance. You shall be fine if not I will give you "Awesome Puppy"

Back