Need help with this ginger beer please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
ok the recipe says its all grain but technically its a partial mash braggot. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients for Mashing
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.48 %
1.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.15 %

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 7.88 qt of water at 164.0 F 154.0 F

Drain Mash Tun
Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 5.33 gal of 175.0 F water

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.42 gal

Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.040 (note this estimate includes honey)

Boil Ingredients

Boil Amount Item Type
60 min 1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops
60 min 3.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar
30 min 2.00 items Lemon Juice (per lemon) (Boil 30.0 min) Misc
30 min 6.00 oz Ginger Root (Boil 30.0 min) Misc
15 min 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
10 min 2.00 oz Ginger Root (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
10 min 2.00 items Lemon Zest (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 min 1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (2 min) Hops

Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature

Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 5.00 gal

Ingredients for Fermentation
1 Pkgs Safale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Fermentation

Primary fermentation (14 days at 68.0 F)
Secondary fermentation (7 days at 68.0 F)
Add to Secondary

2.50 oz Ginger Root (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc

My problem is this...I can finally do a full boil with my new turkey fryer and I do not have a wort chiller. So i can do one of two things. I can sparge with 2-3 gallons of water and then use the rest of the empty space in the fermenter for water to cool the wort faster or I can do a full boil chill the wort as best as I can in the sink and then bring in the basement and pitch tomorrow morning.

Also the batch calls for like 6.42 boil volume. I do not understand because later on in the process it says to fill up to 5 gallons. There is no way I can get a whole gallon of boil off...

Geez....I tried 1 oz of ginger root in 5 gallons for the last 5 minutes and it aboot burns yer throat. Let me know how it tastes. I also used lemongrass for lemon flavor. It works great without the acid.

yea well ive been brewing for a while now i completed the mash now im on the wort boil and this new turkey fryer sucks... I have about 4 gallons of wort in my pot and its been an hour still no boil...

I'm VERY interested in this one. Keep us informed. I loved the ginger idea and used the Lemongrass Ginger Ale recipe from AHS. Everybody here found it interesting and thought we should experiment more with it, but the recipe just needed something different done, particularly with the Ginger as you could taste it fine, but it really did just hit the back of your throat with the taste. We were thinking of adding it with 5 minutes to go instead of 10 so it approached the aroma instead of the flavor. Your approach is really pushing it, but I could see the ginger reacting favorably as well. Boiling it produced very different reactions than I would have expected. Powering it in like your recipe could be wonderful if there is a touch more sweetness to mellow the ginger somewhat. Honey is a good way to do it I would think.

I completed my boil late last night only problem is it wasn't a full boil...:drunk:
I was having problems with my burner. I think it had alot to do with the fact that my tank ran out last minute and wan't giving off enough heat and it was windy out.

This is fermenting right now. Should be done in a week or two I will let everyone know how this turns out.

I completed my boil late last night only problem is it wasn't a full boil...:drunk:
I was having problems with my burner. I think it had alot to do with the fact that my tank ran out last minute and wan't giving off enough heat and it was windy out.

It not being a full boil -- especially without a good chiller -- is not that big of a deal, IMO.

My $.02

Just three days in the bottle I tried one. Tasted amazing... can not wait for it to actually be fully carbed gonna be great!!

It have anice mild ginger flavor with a hint of lemon and honey... yum :rockin:

Latest posts

Back