Burgers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
I think I'm calling it "The burger of 20 feet".... cause after you eat it you best be 20 feet from anyone before brushing your teeth.

So here it is.....

Burger
Crumbled Blue Cheese (nice heaping spoonfull...I put this between the burger and bun and squish it all in the end)
Nice thick slice of raw onlion
I like hot sauce

Soo.... what do you like on your burger?

Bacon, its a must (Canadian bacon).
Pickles..garlic/dill.

I did have a burger once that had 3 paties, peameal bacon, regular bacon, slcced ham, 3 cheeses, pickles, onions, mayo, mushrooms,....and a fried egg. Best damn burger ever.
Too bad they don't have take out (the place in Rhodes, Greece....it may have been called the Colossus...or should have been)

Now there is a heart stopper :) I actually started playing around with ground turkey. I tell you the stuff is awfull if you dont season it right. We use some of this Jerk seasoning we got and it tastes great!

My wife doesn't eat beef or pork...so I also have mess around with ground turkey/chicken. You are very correct....spices are the key.
Ever use cumin? Great for Mexican type flavour....

I had this at a bar somewhere in northeastern WI, I can't remember where exactly, but it went: bun bottom, burger patty, cheese, bratwurst patty, cheese, bacon, bun top..............it was amazing, if I ever wanted to comitt suicide I'd eat those until I dropped

Homemade patties

cooked rare

sauteed onions

bacon (american bacon)

cheese

homemade bread

drool rinse repeat

I like bacon on a burger but don't usually splurge.

My usual burger has spicy mustard and BBQ sauce, letuce, tomato, avacado.

A roasted green New Mexicao chile is an excellent addition, either on top or chopped up and integrated into the burger.

I almost never eat cheese on a burger, unless it's gorganzola or something like that that I'm really going to taste with those other assertive flavors. I figure a slice of typical low-flavor North-American cheese is just wasted fat and calories on a burger.

An old campout standard (back when lots was the main concern):

Two 1/4 pound patties
Slice of ham
Cheese
1/4 inch slice of onion

Stack ham, cheese and onion on one patty. Put the second patty on top and carefully seal the edges together. Wrap in foil & place on coals. Cover with more coals. About 15 minutes.

Step aside, kiddies, and let The Cook tell you how it's done.

Burger: Good ground beef. I get mine from my father-in-law who raises steak-house quality corn-fed black angus. You want about 80-90% lean so that the burger is juicy.

Seasoning: Cajun seasoning is good, as it plain old salt and pepper. Don't use a lot, you want the meat to be the flavor.

Flavoring: wood chips. I've been using Tobasco barrel wood chips on the coals and they're nice.

Toppings: grilled bacon, (Yep, throw it on the grill while your bacon is cooking) caramelized red onions and jalapeno slices, blue cheese or Kauakana processed cheesefood spread, BBQ sauce.

Cooking: you cook that burger on anything other than Kingsford charcoal, lump charcoal or hard-wood and I'll making a reservation to kick your ass. Don't disgrace the meat with gas or propane. As for the George Forman: don't even think about it.

Grill the bun so it's lightly toasted. Bonus man points if you garlic-butter up the bun before tossing it on the grill.

Garnish with a pickle spear (Claussen's Kosher is da bomb) and some form of potato.

I love garlic-sauteed mushrooms on my burger.

Seasoning from our local-but-world-famous burger joint, Fred's Burgers.

What makes a great burger for me is toasting the buns right in a sizzling pan of butter. Get em good and soaked and greasy-good.

I'm pretty simple with burgers. I like them hand made and cooked on the grill. I do propane because it's easier - soon to be natural gas.

I use saly and pepper to season and cook it medium. I'd go medium rare, but for hamburgers, that's a risk I don't want to take. I top it with a piece of good old american cheese.

I use A-1, mustard, grilled onions, tomato and lettuce for toppings. I don't care for bacon on my burgers.

That's about it - nothing special

Cheesefood said:
Cooking: you cook that burger on anything other than Kingsford charcoal, lump charcoal or hard-wood and I'll making a reservation to kick your ass. Don't disgrace the meat with gas or propane. As for the George Forman: don't even think about it.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Right ON!

Ize

Mmmmm let's see, A Cheeseburger in Paradise.......

Cooked medium rare and gotta have lettuce tomatoes, grilled onions, Heinz 57 (yup just like the song says) bacon, and the cheese has got to be Wisconsin Cheddar. And the bun should be grilled, too. If the Heinz isan't available then it's Mayo and 1000 island.:rockin:

Oh and if you're getting the Cheeseburger In Paradise at the real place (Margaritaville, that is) go for the conch fritters too. You'll be glad you did. ;)

BTW here's my .02 on the best places to get cheeseburgers if you're not making your own:

Margaritaville ( I know I said that one already)
Kopp's Frozen Custard in Milwaukee
Culver's

ablrbrau said:
BTW here's my .02 on the best places to get cheeseburgers if you're not making your own:

Margaritaville ( I know I said that one already)
Kopp's Frozen Custard in Milwaukee
Culver's

How does his "Cheeseburger in Paradise" chain stack up to Margaritaville?

Best burgers:

1. Webber Grill
2. Boston Blackies
3. Chili's
4. Culvers

Cheesefood said:
How does his "Cheeseburger in Paradise" chain stack up to Margaritaville?

I’m a big Buffet fan. First thing I did when I went to Key West is hit Margaritaville. Holy Overrated! The place is basically a big trinket store with VERY average burgers. I figured Cheeseburger in Paradise would serve up a better burger for some reason, but Jimmy is 0-2 in the burger depart by my book. They’re expensive and just not very good.

The mini-cheeseburgers at Cheeseburger in Paradise, however, are quite good as well as the frozen drinks if you like that sort of thing.

Ok, I came across this when I was in Jamaica and it stuck...the sauce is the key.

Grill a burger over charcoal and place on a "hearty" bun that is not the .59 cent variety, then add mustard(brown or spicy) and mayo to the bottom bun with a slice of onion, place the burger pattie on top with melted swiss on top of that, and liberally dump Pickapeppa sauce over the top bun, assemble and consume.

...damn, now I want a Pickapeppa Burger...:(

2 lb ground beef
a large onion - not a sweet one, a real onion
3-4 tbsp black pepper
4-5 cloves garlic

grind the onion, pepper and garlic in the blender until smooth. mix in with the 2lb of hamburger. shape into 4 patties. (that's right, sweetie, a half pound plus each). salt both sides. make 'em about 20% bigger than a jumbo bun - ~1 inch thick or so. they'll draw up.

cook close to the heat over charcoal that has been doused with mesquite or pecan chips 2-3 min before putting the meat on.

right before done put 3-4 slices of good ole processed Umuhrickin Cheez on 'em. close the grill and steam that down till it runs off.

serve on a buttered toasted bun.

rdwj said:
I’m a big Buffet fan. First thing I did when I went to Key West is hit Margaritaville. Holy Overrated! The place is basically a big trinket store with VERY average burgers. I figured Cheeseburger in Paradise would serve up a better burger for some reason, but Jimmy is 0-2 in the burger depart by my book. They’re expensive and just not very good.

The mini-cheeseburgers at Cheeseburger in Paradise, however, are quite good as well as the frozen drinks if you like that sort of thing.

I was at the Margaritaville in Orlando. I thought it was excellent. The Cheeseburger In Paradise burgers are just okay, though. I dunno- maybe I liked the Margaritaville burger so much because I got to sit and stare at the Hemisphere Dancer (Buffett's retired seaplane) while drinking at the tiki bar before going in for supper.:mug:

I had a great burger a while back. Big ol' toasted potato roll, half-pound of flame kissed beef, sandwich pickle slices, shredded lettuce and pastrami. It really rocked for like six bucks with decent fries.

I made teriyaki elk burgers once. They were amazing.

Man, I can't get burgers out of my head now. I know what I'm eating tonight. (I use propane, so if you want to kick my ass, Cheese, at least bring a few beers over please)

I've been thinking about this one for a bit, and I've realized I've never developed my "own" burger...

I slap some beef on the grill for kids and may have one myself but don't put a whole lot of thought into it...

See, when I'm grilling for me and SWMBO, it usually is something we build an entire meal around. Our fave butcher usually once or twice a month has big, BIG fat, thick bacon wrapped filets on sale 8.99 each. (they WERE 7.99 last year, bastids.... but the freezer is loaded with em...) Teriyaki marinaded pork loin... Teriyaki or Mesquite marinaded chicken breasts... Boneless ribs marinaded in my own sauce then slow slow slow cooked till the suckers fall apart on ya... But SWMBO'S biggest request for me? My pork steaks... I'll stack those suckers up against any burger any day of the week. We love em... best part is, the kids could care less... Fine, more for me. :D

But now you guys have given me a complex and I'm thinking something beef, bleu cheese and chipotle related on a bun...

Crap, now I'm hungry.... :drunk:

Ize

Back