Hopville.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon99

Reaction score
hopville . the free online community for homebrewers

So far I haven't found anything thatbeats this for recipe calculation. Thought I should mention it because it doesn't seem to be well known on HBT. It has a very clean interface with quick references to BJCP guidlines as you build a brew (warns you if OG/IBU,etc is out of the norm).

I demo'd Beersmith and BeerToolsPro and found both to be anything but intuitive. In fact after having used hopville I found them downright infuriating. Hopville lacks most of the advanced features, but personally I haven't really needed them. Between hopville and online mash calculators (for volumes and temps) and I haven't needed anything else.

Highly recommended for anyone that isn't currently using software (or even if you are). You can't beat the price (free).:rockin:

Cool, many people use the other software because they can save thier brew sessions and statistics. I use them for that reason, also because I can save my current inventory of hops, malts, yeast etc. in the software and let it track it, otherwise Id never know if I have enough for a certain recipe.

They all have thier place and thier purpose, thanks for the heads up.

I'm with The POL on this one, I use Beersmith and love it. Beersmith will track anything and everything you want it to and once you get used to it I find that it is very easy to navigate/enter data into. Beersmith also keeps track of styles and guidelines and lets you know if you are out of a particular style.

Nonetheless thanks for the link, I'm sure plenty of people will use and enjoy it!

I use Beersmith and love it. Beersmith will track anything and everything you want it to and once you get used to it I find that it is very easy to navigate/enter data into. Beersmith also keeps track of styles and guidelines and lets you know if you are out of a particular style.
Can BeerSmith track brewing session?

Brewtility - Homebrew Beer Recipes and Brewing Tools

Found another decent free utility today while surfing the webs. At first glance, it doesn't seem as advanced as hopville, but has potential.

Something else to note about both websites, they support beerxml export. If for some reason you find yourself inspired to create a recipe, but can't access your home machine, you could use one of these online tools to create and later import into Beersmith (or software of choice).

Before I got Beersmith I was a Hopville guy.
Honestly, I miss it's clean display and simplicity a bit. It's a tradeoff: simplicity for functionality.

Anyway, highly recommended.

I use Hopville, it's nice and easy to use. Great for building recipes, but I think when I make the move to AG I'll switch to one of the more advanced brewing software packages to keep things all in one place.

I've been using Hopville for my recipes as a n00b, and I find it delightful! I like playing around with ingredients that I have on hand, plus the match-to-BJCP functionality is quite useful for narrowing down the final recipe. I've got a maibock in the primary right now that I worked up using hopville, and my experienced brewer pals were quite impressed with the site, as well.

I have been getting into this a lot lately and it works well for me. It is free but I donated to help them put together some additional features for the site.

Back