Keg conditioning temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
So I understand that even with force carbing, kegged beer needs time to condition. As someone else said, green carbed beer is still green beer.

Which led my mind to a question: does the temperature the keg is stored at affect the conditioning? When bottle conditioning we condition at 70F. Is that just to let the yeast work, or is that because the beer conditions better at that temperature?

From what I've read it appears the beer will condition well at serving temp, but I'm wondering if anyone's done any experimentation with conditioning at different temps.

My IPA has been in the primary for 4 1/2 weeks and in the keg for 1/2 week. I was considering chilling it today and force carbing it tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I'd be better served leaving it at room temp for a few more days/weeks.

Thanks!

-Joe

Beer will condition and age and get better at room temps. The colder the temp the less active everything will be. I cold conditioned one beer, after a week to carb I tossed a few in the fridge and let the other set out to age at room temp. They were completely different. The cold conditioned one still tasted young after 2 months.

I think for an IPA, I'd tap it and get to it. I actually like seeing the progression of a keg through the process. (nice part about NOT partying away your beer).

Right Wrong or otherwise, mine get in the basement at around 60 in the summertime, until there is enough room in the Keezer for them.

your beer will codition faster at room temp. Some force carb, then condition for a few weeks (or more) at room temp. That said, it's hard not to tap it once it's carbed.:drunk:

Whoo quick input. Thanks guys ;)

Ok, what I think I'll do is carb it, taste it, then see if I have the force of will to condition it :D

All in the name of research, of course...

-Joe

Back