where to find hop rhizomes now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roth_nj

Reaction score
i want to grow some hops. i guess its kinda late in the year to start. but i figured it would get them started and next year they would be in and get a better harvest....

the problem is everywhere i check online says they are available april/may-ish...

anyone know where i can find some hop rhisomes now?

Yeah. But those whoe peddle the seeds either take them from the wild or, they just don't usually bother with varietal. Look for ornamental hops if you are really acheing to start.

Secondly, there is a 50/50 chance you'll grow a useless male.

like i said origionally, im not expecting to get a harvest out of them. i wanted to get planted now so the roots can be strong in the spring to get a good harvets out of them.

sounds like paris view farm might have some avaliable in july

(gussing they harvest some early??)

I got one of the last chinook rhizomes from them.

Hop plants are dependant on the amount of light they get during the growing season. As the days get longer, they use that time to grow roots and the bines. We just had the solstice, and they start flowering soon afterwards.

You won't find any place that sells seeds, because it's possible to get male plants that way and they are very undesirable. The female plants are the ones that put out the cones we use for brewing. Rhizomes are cuttings from the roots of the plant. If you planted rhizomes now, you may get a plant a few feet high, but that's about it. You wouldn't get any hops out of it at all this year.

There are seeds on ebay usually and if you just google it I'm sure you'll find many other places but you wont know the variety so they will be pretty useless. They would definitely still grow if you planted them right now assuming you watered and all. But they would probably just be a couple feet high. Although they probably would establish some decent roots over the next couple months which would be good for next yr. Definitely no harvest but you already said you didnt care about that. I say if you can find rhizomes or seeds and get them in the ground by mid july then its worth it, most youll lose is a few bucks for cost. But you could get 2 months or so of good growing in.

There are seeds on ebay usually and if you just google it I'm sure you'll find many other places but you wont know the variety so they will be pretty useless. They would definitely still grow if you planted them right now assuming you watered and all. But they would probably just be a couple feet high. Although they probably would establish some decent roots over the next couple months which would be good for next yr. Definitely no harvest but you already said you didnt care about that. I say if you can find rhizomes or seeds and get them in the ground by mid july then its worth it, most youll lose is a few bucks for cost. But you could get 2 months or so of good growing in.

the thing that sucks with seeds is gettting males...

i tried calling a bunch of places and like we already know, everything is sold out cuase of it being late in the growing season...

i just figured i would give it a shot to get thing rooted nicely for next year

I don't think it's necessarily too late to plant. I think I saw a post on the Yahoo group where a fellow actually planted some in the fall, and they did just fine come spring. However, as you're finding out, it's just about impossible to find anybody that has any left.

I sent some wild plants with buds/flowers to Colorado State University that I dug up at the end of July last year. They are growing well this season. I'll try to remember to dig some up at the end of August this season and see if they will take.

Hopboy

The general store at Bell's Brewery in Kalamazoo still has quite a few rhizomes. I was there last week. They have hallertauer, willamette, and two other varieties that for some reason escape me at the moment. They have them in ziplocs in the cooler containing 20+ of each variety. Contact info. can be found on their website, and I'm sure you could convince them to ship you some as it's pretty late for them to sell.

*cough cough* I may or may not have jumped on this suggestion that was provided to you... :rolleyes: ...but Jason at Bell's was very enthusiastic about supplying me with some hop rhizomes.

"cough cough" Don't forget about the messenger when you get a harvest :D

Why is it that everyone I've spoken with from Clarkston is a punk??

Most of them are posers, Clarkston's possibly the whitest, most vanilla city in existence.
Me? I'm actually from Midland. So I'm just better. :D

However, you're right, I should thank the messenger.

Thank you.

If you remind me a year from August I'll make sure you get some, since I won't be getting any this year. :rolleyes:
But seriously, you're on the top of the short list for hops ;)

I'm happy to report that I just picked up all the equipment for my support. Driving a minivan with 2 16' 4x4s sticking out the back is fun.

Back